Packsaddle is operated by Austin Free Flight
Packsaddle is located in the Texas Hill Country near the town of Kingsland. This is the only HG foot launch in the state of Texas. The flying site--launch and landing zone--are located on private property. The land owner requires each pilot to have a personal pass and a parking pass. You must be a member of AFFA in order to fly at Packsaddle. Non-Texas residents may purchase a day pass to fly. Texas residents must purchase an annual pass.
There are two launches one faces south and requires an H2/P2. The other is on the north side and requires H3/P3. First mountain flights are allowed under the supervision of an USHPA instructor.
Ridge Soaring 151.925
X-C Coordinate before launch
Photos Copyright flyahangglider.com (used with permission)
Hang Gliders launching at Packsaddle:
Packsaddle is an area landmark that’s of interest both to historians and geologists. Much of the long, low mountain is 600-million-year-old sandstone in horizontal layers, which rests on even more ancient schist, exposed in Honey Creek at the foot of the mountain off Texas 71. Intriguing traces of gold, silver and other minerals have been reported in sands of the creek. Packsaddle Mountain was site of a fierce battle with Apaches on Aug. 5, 1873, last major Indian battle in the area. Located five miles southwest of Kingsland in eastern Llano County.
Packsaddle Mountain is also the home of the Blanco Mine, named for a Spaniard who found the location long ago. According to J. Frank Dobie's book Coronado's Children, the mine was rediscovered in the 1800's by a Llano settler named Larimore. While hunting, Larimore discovered the old mine--with its contents of lead and a high percentage of silver.
In 1860, Larimore took a last trip to the mine with a man named Jim Rowland. The two men hauled out several hundred pounds of the metal, shaping it into bullets. Larimore, who was leaving the country, declared that he would hide the mine so well that no other person would ever find it. Supposedly, he diverted a gully directly into the mine, filling it with silt. Rowland carved his initials on a large stone marking the entrance to the mine, then covered it with earth. Where it remains today.