To all the haters - Hang Gliding Org - Worlds largest Hang Gliding community, discover Hang Gliding

Search

• Sorry...You must register to activate searching

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hang Gliding Org Forum Index -> Flying Stories + Flight Reports->To all the haters
BURY this topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
skyphil
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 1:23 am    Post subject: To all the haters Reply with quote #1   
Hi,

I had this topic a while ago and.. well.. some of you were complete A holes.

It was about a hang loop I wanted to order.

I ended up ordering the one that I mentioned in that specific post, and well.. It works tremendously awesome. I had this new harness you know.. It's a great harness.

I took it for a first time XC yesterday. I made 100 miles. It was fun.

What I'm trying to say here is, don't let these people discourage you in any way. When I first read the hateful comments I received, honestly, I was bummed. But in the end, don't let this crap get to you. You're better than this. This community is great overall, ask your questions, go out there and make the most of it. Forget about those that want to bring you down.

Basically this is a call for support, help and generosity from and towards all the pilots in our community.

Our sport is great. Be a good ambassador to it.

Rotor Vulto
Flytec 6030
Lubin Aero
Icaro2000 4fight LTD integral

H4
Instructor

''Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever" - Mahatma Gandhi
Send private message  Rating: 3 thumbs up
ksglider
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote #2   
I've been thinking the same things; couldn't have said it better.

Doug
Send private message  Rate this post
magicpotato
1 thumbs up
1 thumbs up

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote #3   
I have met some of my best friends through hang gliding, but many pilots I have encountered are very intense and not all too friendly, or they try to be and come off obviously disingenuous. And I think trying to say "be nice" for the sake of the sport is not going to output nicer people, just more disingenuous people. Maybe the better way is to be yourself, and don't be afraid to call people out for being jerks (politely).

In the end: haters gonna hate, potatoes gonna potate. Congrats on your XC!
NMERider
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote #4   
Congratulations on your first 100-miler of the season. I hope it goes well and I'm glad you have you hang strap sorted.
Here's the previous thread: http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=35153

Posts #5 & 9 sounded pretty harsh. I am acquainted with the pilot who wrote these comments and the terrible internal politics and other situations that he and his friends have suffered through and it's pretty sad. I think he was just blowing off steam as he alluded in his second post but could have saved his Op-Ed comments for another thread.

Yes, we all need to be good ambassadors if we want the port to survive. good idea

2 thumbs up
2 thumbs up

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote #5   
WHEW! It wasn't me! Confused

I think I have a tendency to be a bit impulsive in my replies.

Sorry Ryan Voight. surrender
red
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: To all the haters Reply with quote #6   
skyphil wrote:
Hi,
I had this topic a while ago and.. well.. some of you were complete A holes. It was about a hang loop I wanted to order. I ended up ordering the one that I mentioned in that specific post, and well.. It works tremendously awesome.
What I'm trying to say here is, don't let these people discourage you in any way. When I first read the hateful comments I received, honestly, I was bummed. But in the end, don't let this crap get to you. You're better than this. This community is great overall, ask your questions, go out there and make the most of it. Forget about those that want to bring you down.
Skyphil,

Right. Besides, everybody has a bad day at times. I have seen fairly reasonable pilots go ballistic over stuff, not because it was warranted, but because they knew that if ignored, the issue could get extremely serious. One guy mentions a "minor" concern, and somebody explodes on them, seemingly all out of proportion. Often the second guy has seen what can go wrong, and he's just not up for a repeat nightmare. It happens. That's when everybody needs to step back, and take a breath.

Flying is serious stuff. Some days, we just need to cut the others some slack, in every direction. We can get things set right, without fireworks. In this case, I do not agree with the rough answers, not because they are wrong (they are not wrong), but they're in the wrong place. HG instruction is never complete. The USA Private Pilot types call their FAA cert "a license to learn." Good instruction is just the start, in any form of aviation.

Skyphil, you took the right path; don't let anybody discourage the asking of questions here. Disregard the flak. It's more helpful if a question is asked, because there may be ten other pilots out there who need the same answers. Many can benefit, not just the one asking the question. Open the discussion. Ask questions. Find out why some say this, and other say that. Everybody should have a voice.

http://www.xmission.com/~red/
H4, Moyes X2, Falcon Tandem, HES Tracer, Quantum 'chute
Send private message  Rating: 3 thumbs up
waltspoint
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote #7   
Hang loops...

In the old days, we'd use rope. I got a cool new apron harness to fly my Eiperformance Flexi II with, maybe around 1977. I got a ride to the cliff, and ran into the same issue that skyphil had. So I asked some guy, who I barely knew, and who had probably just enjoyed a bong hit, to tie my hang-rope to the right length. Hope it's a good knot! Backup? Feh! Then I went and flew, thinking 'good, it's holding so far'. Everyone takes things so seriously nowadays.

Congrats on your 100 miler, Skyphil! Enjoy your excellent flying gear this season. /jd
Dave Gills
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: To all the haters Reply with quote #8   
skyphil wrote:

Basically this is a call for support, help and generosity from and towards all the pilots in our community.

I've typed out a lot of replies here without hitting the post button.
This sport seems to attract them for some reason.

Be very careful with any business deals also.
This isn't like any other group I've ever been involved with.

I'd like to see the results of an in depth psychological survey.
Or maybe I wouldn't Mr. Green

3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote #9   
+1

Even the way good folks (with vast experience and good intentions) sometimes go on at each other like school children — some days I just don't get it. Its kinda pathetic.

And while few generalizations can be applied to we free flyer pilots, it could be said that we are generally a passionate mob and tend to be free thinkers (conservative or not)... we have strong opinions.

I too have strong opinions, but I don't have an absolute belief in anything as such (maybe the idea/observation of constant change, but even that is only 99% fact). Fortunately this state of mind bodes well for continuing lifelong learnings (for anything) and maintaining the idea that I will always be the student... but its not for everyone. Its not for most. For some (probably most) knowledge is power. The moment we think we know all about something is the exact moment we need to take a step back and re-learn things.

People can be so unkind to each other, and that often comes from ego issues and their own basic insecurities. Then there's the written communication factors... then there's the internet. If you want to do good stuff here you need to have a pretty thick skin (or just be plain old insensitive).

You can never be sure about somebody (even yourself), so best to take things as they come. If they say they are your brother and it turns out they are full of chit, well, I guess that's down to our own expectation management — people show their true colors in the end.

Kill them with kindness instead thumbsup
jheissjr
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote #10   
Quote:
It works tremendously awesome. I had this new harness you know..

Pics and details!
Wonder Boy
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: To all the haters Reply with quote #11   
skyphil wrote:
Hi,

I had this topic a while ago and.. well.. some of you were complete A holes.

It was about a hang loop I wanted to order.

I ended up ordering the one that I mentioned in that specific post, and well.. It works tremendously awesome. I had this new harness you know.. It's a great harness.

I took it for a first time XC yesterday. I made 100 miles. It was fun.

Our sport is great. Be a good ambassador to it.

Congrats on the flight!

(what size loop did you get?)

Everyone who lives dies, yet not everyone who dies, has lived.
We take these risks not to escape life, but to prevent life escaping us.

https://sites.google.com/site/colcenteroflift/
flybop
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote #12   
I really hope that my post was not taken as an attack. Mine was in response to a couple of responses before it "explaining" how complicated this hang loop thing can be.

And yes, I did seek qualified help when ordering my new loop.

"He did not know he could not fly and so he did" Guy Clark,

"The Cape" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6bZ37nexSY
aeroexperiments
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote #13   
I still do that. Almost. Flat climbing webbing (not rope) tied with the appropriate knot. A good way to deal with the wide variety of harness mains and control frame sizes out there. Steve

waltspoint wrote:
Hang loops...

In the old days, we'd use rope. I got a cool new apron harness to fly my Eiperformance Flexi II with, maybe around 1977. I got a ride to the cliff, and ran into the same issue that skyphil had. So I asked some guy, who I barely knew, and who had probably just enjoyed a bong hit, to tie my hang-rope to the right length. Hope it's a good knot! Backup? Feh! Then I went and flew, thinking 'good, it's holding so far'. Everyone takes things so seriously nowadays.

Congrats on your 100 miler, Skyphil! Enjoy your excellent flying gear this season. /jd
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hang Gliding Org Forum Index -> Flying Stories + Flight Reports