How often do you have to relearn old leasons? - Hang Gliding Org - Worlds largest Hang Gliding community, discover Hang Gliding

Search

• Sorry...You must register to activate searching

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hang Gliding Org Forum Index -> Hang gliding general->How often do you have to relearn old leasons?
BURY this topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Charlie Romeo
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:19 pm    Post subject: How often do you have to relearn old leasons? Reply with quote #1   
There is something very frustrating about making the same mistake twice [or more times],especially after heeding your own advice to" fix"the problem and then the issue creeps back again EmbarassedI am refering to those unpleasant or embarassing mistakes. We have a saying in our club LOMP Lack Of Match Practise?, self explanitary that one,stress? or sometimes,just plain tiredness?,i guess we can make many excuses for poor outcomes,These were {are?] my most common ones,
A slight late turn as you fly through a wind gradiant {Its very surprising how much airspeed is robbed from even a slight bank.
Similar to the first one except while on roundout a little yaw turn to agree with the wind indicator.
Transitioning to the uprights while pitch pressures are still high.
Really being ruthless about the one second delay before flairing,{thanks Jim R}.
Guarantee yourself which landforms mark what airspace before launch Yeh i know my age is showing on that one Laughing Gps adverse {Another instrument,more batteries}.
I am sure i have a few more Wink but for now anybody else like to chime in with their own follies and self help remedies?I guess were not talking about harness attatchment or assembling errors just those silly things that we should permanently try to fix.
Send private message  Rate this post
waveview
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote #2   
Every season about this time of year wind conditions go from smooth strong consistent sea breezes to faltering and variable westerlies that can leave me landing on a beach miles from launch. The long walk back along the beach with glider and gear is always a reality check on being overly optimistic about the flying conditions.
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote #3   
Hay Charlie Romeo.

I like your attitude. IMHO you simply lack consistency. Time in the saddle cowboy...

When you do go out, don't go somewhere new. Fly the same thing, consistently Wink . Form a lesson or flight plan...and stick to the plan.

Soon you'll be asking the local pilots about how to fly some where new to test your acquired consistency, or "skill level" to use another word.

Good luck. Let us know of your progress. And don't be so hard on yourself.

Cool

Kansas City Hang Glider Supplies
Guggenmos E7
H.E.S. Q330
WW U2 145
FlyTec 6015
CG 1000
Tracer Plus
Organ Donor
Charlie Romeo
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote #4   
Thanks guys,good advice Blindrodie. I agree, staying current is probably the best way to stay out of trouble. My situation is i have started becoming gunshy about my ability to plonk it in anywhere Sad I believe this ability is probably the most important attribute to fun inland-xc flying. {One of pg attractions}.Sure we were landing literally anywhere and everywhere in our heydays but i was thirty years younger then :wink, I"ve been flying my second topless:for nine yrs now Shocked however the last few seasons i"ve noticed more reluctance to chase the cu"s and land whereever.This has become a big deal for me as my first love is inland flying,so chatting with the few remaining Pterosoar"s we decided the joy of carving the air in our hg especially inland was still a must thumbsup ,sooo....maybe its time, to lose some aspect ratio ..lose some weight...lower your stall speed...lower your wingloading [Interesting side note my first hg had a wingloading of 1lb/squft my topless is 2lb/squft ],... then gain some sail area..... quicker roll response.etc.Seeing how the new generation of intermediate gliders are resonably glide competetive up to 8o?kph and my local flying is nearly all about working the dribble or tucking in close stuff,and quite a few dodgy ""put ins""pehaps it is time to pop up the kingpost and for ME enjoy all the benefits a downgrade would bring. We fly for fun,whether inland or coastal or both,and renewed mojo for my preferred inland stuff is what i need popcorn
Send private message  Rating: 3 thumbs up
dayhead
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote #5   
A short span, large wing area glider with a wide range VG and topless construction would be marketable, I'll bet.

I think a lot of us older pilots would welcome a designed-for-handling and low-stall-speed kite, that with a good VG and topless would perform better than the "intermediates" but retain the relaxing and pleasant qualities associated with them.

But then again I'm pretty eccentric, with ideas that few agree with. Cool
magentabluesky
2 thumbs up
2 thumbs up

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote #6   
The short answer is when you have a structural change in your brain.
Quote:
… the long term improvement in a motor skill.
You have had the experience of getting better and better within a single session of practice and thinking, I’ve got it. And then you return the next day and all those improvements from the day before are lost. What happened? In the short term your brain was able to increase the chemical signaling between your neurons. For some reason those changes did not induce the structural change to support long term memory. Remember that long term memories take time. What you see in the short term does not reflect learning. It is the physical changes that are going to support long term memory and chemical changes that support short term memories.

Lara Boyd TED Talk

For more on the brain check out “The Brain” with David Eagleman (an appropriate name) a PBS presentation.

The Brain
ChattaroyMan
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote #7   
Often, according to Mrs. ChattaroyMan ..... Rolling Eyes
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote #8   
I"m not so sure its my neurons Magentabluesky ,(some would not agree) crazy .However i"m sure all pilots notice how much more tuned in to our sport we are when we fly consequeutive days. I fly the very occasional comp to finally get in the inland zone Smile or wait for my holidays sleep I guess perhaps its a natural progression for the older(i"m sixty one this year) pilots to balk at carrying thirty six kilos very far ,or taking longer to heal up from even minor misdemeaners,or the reassuring thought that a little slower landing_larger flair window glider will make the difference on those hot and switchy unknown paddocks. I get to fly only one day on the weekends and often a coastal fly is all thats on offer ....which is sometimes very enjoyable, it can be a chalk and cheese experience , when you go back inland Rolling Eyes So yes,at least this time Smile ,i agree with you Dayhead. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpEay2uNvjA&t=10s[youtube][/youtube]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hang Gliding Org Forum Index -> Hang gliding general