Wishful Thinking - Hang Gliding Org - Worlds largest Hang Gliding community, discover Hang Gliding

Search

• Sorry...You must register to activate searching

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hang Gliding Org Forum Index -> Hang gliding general->Wishful Thinking
BURY this topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChattaroyMan
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:51 pm    Post subject: Wishful Thinking Reply with quote #1   
faint Punxsutawney Phil says 6 more weeks too! faint

1 thumbs up
1 thumbs up

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote #2   
Maybe for the East coast but here on the west coast the birds, flowers and frogs say otherwise!

We just got the perma-snow off the ground and now I'm seeing V's of migrating geese, large flocks of robins, daffodils and crocuses are poking up, and I've heard several frogs croaking.

You know what they say: "When it comes to predicting Spring, an ounce of robin is worth a pound of calendar."
Send private message  Rate this post
old newbie
2 thumbs up
2 thumbs up

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote #3   
Snow on the ground in Astoria , don't start planting your garden yet
blindrodie
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote #4   
Geese packing up and heading north here in Missouri as well...

Cool

Kansas City Hang Glider Supplies
Guggenmos E7
H.E.S. Q330
WW U2 145
FlyTec 6015
CG 1000
Tracer Plus
Organ Donor
Baitrunner
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote #5   
going to LMFP from Feb 18th through the 26th.... I can deal with cool temps but praying for little to no precip and CALM conditions. Come on spring!
Avnav8r
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote #6   
Hey,

It looks like an early Spring here in NW Georgia as well! Daffodils are up, birds are singing early and I even have an azalea that is about to bloom. We've had a fairly mild winter here this year. It'll be time to break out the glider soon!

John Stokes

3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote #7   
100 degrees this weekend in Canberra, Australia. Makes for really strong seabreezes!

Hottest temps on record here but I imagine that's a 'liberal conspiracy', or more likely just fake news. Probably an elaborate hoax.

Media BLOCKED

Please REGISTER
and log in to see this content
miraclepieco
1 thumbs up
1 thumbs up

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote #8   
Nicos wrote:
100 degrees this weekend in Canberra, Australia. Makes for really strong seabreezes!

Hottest temps on record here but I imagine that's a 'liberal conspiracy', or more likely just fake news. Probably an elaborate hoax.

Sure, because everyone knows there's never been 100-degree temps in Australia before - in the entire 100 years they've been keeping temperature records with about a dozen old mercury thermometers nationwide. Now with all that Climate Change grant $$$ they can afford to cover the entire Outback with lots of new state-of-the-art equipment!

Hey, I thought you guys were C, not F - or were you just making the conversion for us ignorant Yanks? Laughing
Nicos
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote #9   
... not so much in Canberra, no. It's the capital so have been keeping records for a while, and no summer has been hotter on those records — http://www.meteorology.com.au/local-climate-history/act/canberra — they call that historic.

And yes, I even sometimes use 'Murkan spelling for the same audience, how considerate!
Send private message  Rating: 3 thumbs up
Avnav8r
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote #10   
Nicos wrote:

At least you live somewhere that the Government actually believes that Climate Change is real! cuss You'll now have to excuse me 'cause I have to go take a Trump! Laughing

3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote #11   
Nicos wrote:

I'm not sure why new high temps would be news -- it's been warming since the middle of last ice age. Which would explain why we're no longer in an ice age.
peterc
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote #12   
"Take a Trump", excellent, just added that to my vernacular!
Avnav8r
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote #13   
peterc wrote:
"Take a Trump", excellent, just added that to my vernacular!

Thanks! Please feel free to spread it around thumbsup

3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote #14   
>>I'm not sure why new high temps would be news -- it's been warming since the middle of last ice age. Which would explain why we're no longer in an ice age<<

Well, technically we still are in an Ice Age - we are just in an interglacial period. And within c.10 -20 thousand years we will enter another glacial period which will probably last another 100,000 years.

The Ice Ages won't stop until the continent of Antarctica moves off the South Pole so there is no ice cap there. That will take about another 30 million years. The North Pole has a floating ice cap because the Arctic Ocean is surrounded by land masses. Two ice covered poles is unusual in the history of the Earth.

Of course now that we have dumped nearly a trillion tonnes of carbon into the atmosphere in a 4 billion year carbon blow out - it is possible we may not slide into another glacial period - some scientists think so. Anthropogenic Global Warming is going to be dire, but another glacial period will be no fun either. Think Northern Europe and America buried under a mile of ice, nuclear power plants smeared across the landscape etc. etc. Of course you will be able to walk, or at least ski, to Russia....

Whatever, like it or not, humans are a major climate control factor now, so we'd better get our act together....

Leo Jones
Jim brindley
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote #15   
Oh No!....not the all too common fun conversation turned into a veiled political rant!... off topic : puke
Telepilot
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote #16   
Jim, I can't wait to hear their opinions on Abortion, guns and Religion too!
ChattaroyMan
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote #17   
Jim brindley wrote:
Oh No!....not the all too common fun conversation turned into a veiled political rant!... off topic : puke

Weather & climate are not political - any more than it is pretty hard to predict into the future with a heck of a lot of accuracy on weather/climate or politics. I'm personally fascinated by how Earth's climate has changed over time and all the variables that are involved: atmospheric gas content & percentages, volcanic activity, orbit fluctuations, behavior of our star, continental drift, ocean temperature and currents, asteroid impact, the list is pretty long and very likely there are a few unknowns too.

We're a fascinating planet in that we're mostly covered by liquid water. This really keeps our diurnal temps in a relatively narrow range (whole planet anyway). Hard telling just how much sea level may rise with the current warming.

3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote #18   
Steve,
Your post is fine...an interesting topic for sure!....I just had to say something about the politics that got wedged in there by others. But in my opinion the NE has been seeing more wind and variability in temperatures over the last several years...( not always warmer)...seems like the west coast has had milder winters.

JIM

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hang Gliding Org Forum Index -> Hang gliding general