9-27-16 Tekoa- Smoke plumes and a low save - T2C - Hang Gliding Org - Worlds largest Hang Gliding community, discover Hang Gliding

Search

  • Sorry...You must register to activate searching









Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hang Gliding Org Forum Index -> Hang gliding Videos->9-27-16 Tekoa- Smoke plumes and a low save - T2C
BURY this topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wonder Boy
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up


Joined: 30 Jan 2008
Posts: 2090
Location: Spokane WA

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:55 pm    Post subject: 9-27-16 Tekoa- Smoke plumes and a low save - T2C Reply with quote #1   
High pressure mellow day. Some field burning. A hawk stopped by.
Had a nice low save at the LZ, always a great bonus!



Link

_________________
Mike

Everyone who lives dies, yet not everyone who dies, has lived.
We take these risks not to escape life, but to prevent life escaping us.



https://sites.google.com/site/colcenteroflift/
Send private message  Rate this post
NMERider
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up


Joined: 07 Apr 2008
Posts: 11105

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote #2   
mosh mosh thumbsup
_________________
{Insert signature line here}
Send private message Blog  Rate this post
Wonder Boy
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up


Joined: 30 Jan 2008
Posts: 2090
Location: Spokane WA

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote #3   
NMERider wrote:
mosh mosh thumbsup


Thanks man

_________________
Mike

Everyone who lives dies, yet not everyone who dies, has lived.
We take these risks not to escape life, but to prevent life escaping us.



https://sites.google.com/site/colcenteroflift/
Send private message  Rate this post
wonderwind_flyer
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up


Joined: 28 Jul 2012
Posts: 104
Location: NW Michigan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote #4   
...

Tekoa is one of my favorite sites in the country. I haven't flown there since the mid-1980s so it comforting to see that it looks pretty much the same now as it did then.

Thx much for sharing the video(!) ... it is a helpful reminder to make plans to visit there this summer.

...
Send private message  Rate this post
Avolare
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up


Joined: 17 Sep 2009
Posts: 406
Location: PA

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote #5   
thumbsup
Send private message  Rate this post
remmoore
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up


Joined: 24 Jul 2008
Posts: 2015

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote #6   
Mike,

I've been curious for awhile as to what you do about retrieve for those local flights that end at the airport. It doesn't look like the closest landing option, so I'm guessing you don't hike back from the bottom. Do you have a buddy there who drives you back to your vehicle? Have a little dirt-bike stowed there to take back to the top?

RM
Send private message  Rate this post
Wonder Boy
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up


Joined: 30 Jan 2008
Posts: 2090
Location: Spokane WA

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote #7   
I have a little motorcycle I drop off if my GF isnt there.
If I land at the bottom its only a 35 min hike back up.
The airport is so much better to breakdown at Smile

_________________
Mike

Everyone who lives dies, yet not everyone who dies, has lived.
We take these risks not to escape life, but to prevent life escaping us.



https://sites.google.com/site/colcenteroflift/
Send private message  Rate this post
Wonder Boy
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up


Joined: 30 Jan 2008
Posts: 2090
Location: Spokane WA

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote #8   
wonderwind_flyer wrote:
...

Tekoa is one of my favorite sites in the country. I haven't flown there since the mid-1980s so it comforting to see that it looks pretty much the same now as it did then.

Thx much for sharing the video(!) ... it is a helpful reminder to make plans to visit there this summer.

...


Its a great site for sure. Glad you enjoyed.
We dont get too many visitors.

We did have Joe and his wife from Virginia visit a few years back, they had a good time


Link

_________________
Mike

Everyone who lives dies, yet not everyone who dies, has lived.
We take these risks not to escape life, but to prevent life escaping us.



https://sites.google.com/site/colcenteroflift/
Send private message  Rate this post
ChattaroyMan
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up


Joined: 01 Nov 2009
Posts: 2586
Location: Chattaroy, WA -USA

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote #9   
Nice save at the airport! I gotta try that Smile
_________________
Steve Baran � U2 160 � Chattaroy, WA - USA � USHPA# 16529 � www.centeroflift.org
Send private message  Rate this post
miraclepieco
1 thumbs up
1 thumbs up


Joined: 29 Mar 2012
Posts: 916

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote #10   
In late summer we have lots of "smoke thermals" in the Willamette Valley also. Unfortunately I once had a potential record XC abruptly shut down when farmers torched off their fields below. Completely smoked-in, I was lucky to find the ground in a safe place.
Send private message  Rate this post
Litespeeder
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up


Joined: 12 Feb 2016
Posts: 25
Location: S.E. Pennsylvania

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote #11   
First, I would like to say that I enjoy watching your video's. You seem to always make the most of your flying days, your planned XC tasks are aggressive and challenging. I too love a challenging task and the decision making that comes with it. A few years ago I was flying a task in our local comp [ECC], after about 30 miles I was on a long glide with no lift or prospects of lift, then things got worse I was getting low and had to take a leak. I turned toward an area with good LZ's, in one field a farmer was harvesting wheat, when I flew over it I was greeted with a 600' per min climb that I took from 500' alg to 6k. when I was getting near the top I started to relax from cranking and banking and remembered how bad i had to take a leak, after some adjustment , I got the little fella out and made a very localized rain shower [ I leave my pant zipper down before I launch for such an occasion] and continued on reaching goal that day. Now back to the farmer harvesting the wheat, I noticed some harvesting equipment near your low save. Were they working the field at the time of your climb? Do you ever try to find thermals over fields that are being harvested, I have had some success over field that are being worked. Its just another part of decision making while going XC.
_________________
Eipper 19x17, ASG 21, Sensor 210.5 E, UP Comet, Moyes XS, Xtralite, SX4, Litespeed 5, Litespeed S4.5
Send private message  Rate this post
captclem
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up


Joined: 04 Feb 2014
Posts: 77
Location: newcastle calif.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:51 pm    Post subject: Nice Video Reply with quote #12   
Thanks Mike for another great video. Hope to join you someday soon. On my bucket list. Hope you can join RM and me at our favorite site Indian Valley. Keep sharing your flights with us. Dave C.
_________________
H-4,U-2 160, USHPA#1049 T2 154, Freedom 190
Send private message  Rate this post
Wonder Boy
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up


Joined: 30 Jan 2008
Posts: 2090
Location: Spokane WA

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote #13   
miraclepieco wrote:
In late summer we have lots of "smoke thermals" in the Willamette Valley also. Unfortunately I once had a potential record XC abruptly shut down when farmers torched off their fields below. Completely smoked-in, I was lucky to find the ground in a safe place.


Bummer.
Yeah smoke sucks!
We had some nasty fires in 2015, this was the last flight for this area.


Link

_________________
Mike

Everyone who lives dies, yet not everyone who dies, has lived.
We take these risks not to escape life, but to prevent life escaping us.



https://sites.google.com/site/colcenteroflift/
Send private message  Rate this post
Wonder Boy
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up


Joined: 30 Jan 2008
Posts: 2090
Location: Spokane WA

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote #14   
ChattaroyMan wrote:
Nice save at the airport! I gotta try that Smile


Smile

Even at the hill on the way to the LZ works too, could even get you a 100 miler thumbsup

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IL2MESvZwwQ

and some good pratice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaWpBZmlq_Q

_________________
Mike

Everyone who lives dies, yet not everyone who dies, has lived.
We take these risks not to escape life, but to prevent life escaping us.



https://sites.google.com/site/colcenteroflift/
Send private message  Rate this post
Wonder Boy
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up


Joined: 30 Jan 2008
Posts: 2090
Location: Spokane WA

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote #15   
Litespeeder wrote:
First, I would like to say that I enjoy watching your video's. You seem to always make the most of your flying days, your planned XC tasks are aggressive and challenging. I too love a challenging task and the decision making that comes with it. A few years ago I was flying a task in our local comp [ECC], after about 30 miles I was on a long glide with no lift or prospects of lift, then things got worse I was getting low and had to take a leak. I turned toward an area with good LZ's, in one field a farmer was harvesting wheat, when I flew over it I was greeted with a 600' per min climb that I took from 500' alg to 6k. when I was getting near the top I started to relax from cranking and banking and remembered how bad i had to take a leak, after some adjustment , I got the little fella out and made a very localized rain shower [ I leave my pant zipper down before I launch for such an occasion] and continued on reaching goal that day. Now back to the farmer harvesting the wheat, I noticed some harvesting equipment near your low save. Were they working the field at the time of your climb? Do you ever try to find thermals over fields that are being harvested, I have had some success over field that are being worked. Its just another part of decision making while going XC.


Thanks.
I honestly think I have found as many thermal away from equipment as near them.
I think we see the tractor, its loosening up dirt or causing dust so we focus there. Generally we are low and looking for help of any kind.
For me on a light wind day it helps for a direction if I am going to land out and or where a thermal might be drifting. Saved my butt more than a few times. But I have also had saves from a regular ol' field Smile

(I have a loop of small diameter line I loop through my zipper pull to aid in gloved extraction Wink

_________________
Mike

Everyone who lives dies, yet not everyone who dies, has lived.
We take these risks not to escape life, but to prevent life escaping us.



https://sites.google.com/site/colcenteroflift/
Send private message  Rate this post
Wonder Boy
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up


Joined: 30 Jan 2008
Posts: 2090
Location: Spokane WA

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Nice Video Reply with quote #16   
captclem wrote:
Thanks Mike for another great video. Hope to join you someday soon. On my bucket list. Hope you can join RM and me at our favorite site Indian Valley. Keep sharing your flights with us. Dave C.


That would be great on both accounts!
Looking forward to it.

Ive got few more done I'll post and a few more to edit.

_________________
Mike

Everyone who lives dies, yet not everyone who dies, has lived.
We take these risks not to escape life, but to prevent life escaping us.



https://sites.google.com/site/colcenteroflift/
Send private message  Rate this post
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hang Gliding Org Forum Index -> Hang gliding Videos
 
All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1


 
Jump to:  


(c) HangGliding.org All rights reserved. Based on PhpBB