falcon 170 or 195? - Hang Gliding Org - Worlds largest Hang Gliding community, discover Hang Gliding

Search

• Sorry...You must register to activate searching

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hang Gliding Org Forum Index -> Hang gliding general->falcon 170 or 195?
BURY this topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Baitrunner
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:33 pm    Post subject: falcon 170 or 195? Reply with quote #1   
New H2 looking at buying my first glider. Is it better to be on the low or high end of the gliders specified weight range? Im 175 lbs and will be towing and mountain flying. Not sure if I should be looking at a 170 or 195 falcon?
Send private message  Rate this post
seb
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote #2   
I always prefer being on the high end. Badd ass malibu 166 in the classified ! I pro tow with it...yep no probem . Mountain fly with it since I fly at lookout mountain, ga all the time as well.
Jim brindley
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote #3   
Good Question!....I weigh 175 , and I trained with and bought a 195.... it seems to fly real slow, and soars better, but it's very noticeably harder to groundhandle. I ended up trading it in for a 170... both were Falcon 4 models...the 170 handles great, it is easier to handle in wind, and it flares easier.....but to stay up on light days it's more of a challenge...(at 175 lb pilot weight).... I even decided to buy my old glider back, so I can soar easier on light days.... if your goal is to fly with more confidence, and impress your instructor, I would go with the 170.
good luck!
JIM

_css_nate_
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote #4   
i hook in around 190.

Falcon 170 all the way. I have flown the 195 and do not care for it much. There is a big difference, esp in ground handling\launch manageability.

I bought a 170 new a couple seasons ago and it really is a phenomenal wing overall. Some days not so much though. ie. It was windy today, up to around 30mph or so at launch with long-ish glide to LZ (out of sight) and so I flew my sport 2 135. The sport 2 135 absolutely kicked ass and it must be one of the best gliders ever designed.

Still glad to have the 170 for lighter days. Worthy addition to a quiver.
NMERider
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote #5   
I weigh 165# in all my naked sexiness and have owned the F3 170, F3 195 and now I have an F4 195 with a 5oz Dacron sail. Who cares about ground handling unless you plan to walk around carrying your glider all afternoon. I have done plenty of XC on the 195s and it's just a superior machine at our weight range. For the few times we'll get overpowered and land on a 195 we are still better off in any given season on the F4 195. We'll develop more skills and overall have better flights. Yes, we'll lose a day or two due to size but more often than not we'll have better and longer flights on the 195. That's where I put my money.
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote #6   
I'd recommend the 195 for your weight.

But you should be able to do fine on either. If you plan on buying new, get a 195. If you are shopping the used marker, go for which ever is in better condition and/or is easier logistically.

3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote #7   
My hook in weight is 220 and I fly a 195. I have flown a 170 and it is easier to handle on the ground and in the air, but higher weight means you'll be sinking out earlier and you'll have to run faster to get it to fly. Try both and see how they work out for you.
Wagner24314
1 thumbs up
1 thumbs up

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote #8   
freedom 170 is a great wing

H4 AT, PL,FL,RLF, TUR, X-C
Sport 2 brothers wing, LaMouette Topless 1 flys awsome and Airborne C4 13.5
Jim brindley
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote #9   
My current " hook in weight " is 200 lbs....my weight is 175..... very important,.... I now fly the 170 with a pod which is heavier, when I was training I used a very light cocoon harness, without a reserve for most of it... hook - in was 185 lbs...flying the 195......I should've done it the other way around !... I now own both gliders, but haven't flown the 195 since I bought it.....I am anxious to compare the two gliders on similar days....these other pilots on here seem to be passionate about their opinions, read them all, and make your own decision....

Good Luck JIM

entelin
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote #10   
Nothing wrong with adding some weight via sandbags, or potentially a large water bladder that doubles as your hydration source Smile You could go with either, probably fairly easy to find each of those to test out before you make your decision.
Baitrunner
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote #11   
So, first off thanks for all the replies- I'm more confused now than ever. Just kidding Smile based on responses I think I should test fly both a few times before I decide. I'm just confused with all the choices on gliders theese days. I'd love a partial double surface or a wing with VG but need something that suits a newbie and that's why I'm looking at falcons. I don't want to hinder or slow my progression.
_css_nate_
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote #12   
Oh, not to confuse you more...but there are great double surface trainers. The Pulse 10m comes to mind and would be perfect for your size. I've flown a new one, super easy wing. I spent quite a bit of time on top the stack at Elsinore on a ridge day on my demo Pulse. They are back in production by Northwing. Simple design, No VG, and a straightforward setup.

Bring it up with your instructor. That said, you can't lose with a Falcon, but at some point, yes, you are likely going to want a DS wing.

http://northwing.com/pulse-hang-glider.aspx

Welcome to the sport, btw.
Send private message  Rating: 3 thumbs up
AIRTHUG
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote #13   
If it's a Falcon 3 or 4... DEFINITELY get the 170 size. If it's a Falcon 1, probably be happiest with a 195. If it's a Falcon 2... ???? harder to say... depends how "used" it is I suppose...
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote #14   
Update: I found a great condition used falcon 3 170 with shortpack case for a really good price. Seller is an instructor and this was one of his students gliders. Probably going to get this one!
Baitrunner
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote #15   
Update: I found a great condition used falcon 3 170 with shortpack case for a really good price. Seller is an instructor and this was one of his students gliders. Probably going to get this one!
Takeo77
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote #16   
Baitrunner wrote:

Jump on it!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hang Gliding Org Forum Index -> Hang gliding general