Kali Shiva HG Helmet - Hang Gliding Org - Worlds largest Hang Gliding community, discover Hang Gliding

Search

• Sorry...You must register to activate searching

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hang Gliding Org Forum Index -> Hang gliding general->Kali Shiva HG Helmet
BURY this topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
remmoore
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:25 pm    Post subject: Kali Shiva HG Helmet Reply with quote #1   
I got this new helmet just before Thanksgiving, but it's taken me awhile to get it in the air. This is the latest helmet from Kali Protectives, the Shiva, and its amazing. Mine is the newly-available XXL, and it comes in at 1032g - including the face shield.

My first flight happened to be at Funston, and I was very impressed with how light this DOT certified helmet is. Excellent field of vision for keeping track of the other pilots in the lift band, and a very comfortable fit. Even though this helmet was designed to handle the impacts of the MX crowd, it's also being used by BMX and downhill riders who want DOT protection, but without the typical weight penalty.

I could go on about the latest technical protective improvements Kali has made to the Shiva, but it's the outside that really gets the attention. Flying a glider that's mostly carbon fiber, this helmet fits right in. Not "carbon fiber look" like some manufacturers claim, but the real deal. Sexy! The Shiva is one full inch smaller in all dimensions than my previous helmet, the Kali Prana, and nearly 200g lighter. The Shiva is comparable in size with other full face HG helmets, and only a bit heavier.

I have friends who are already getting their own Shivas based on what they've seen of mine. It's really great to have such a terrific DOT helmet option for those who want more protection than the typical EN-966 helmets provide.

RM

Media BLOCKED

Please REGISTER
and log in to see this content

Media BLOCKED

Please REGISTER

Media BLOCKED

Please REGISTER
Send private message  Rating: 3 thumbs up
BarnhartMD

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote #2   
What would the MSRP of that awesome looking helmet cost? Or should I ask what did you pay for that helmet. How easily would it be to add communications to it?

That is a sweet looking helmet! What other lens colors are available?
Send private message  Rate this post
Nicos
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote #3   
Also, being CF, would that mean the structure is compromised by a hairline fracture? Keen to get some DOT protection soon.. thanks for posting.
remmoore
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote #4   
BarnhartMD wrote:
What would the MSRP of that awesome looking helmet cost? How easily would it be to add communications to it? What other lens colors are available?

I consolidated your excellent questions a bit:

1) These helmets go for between $230-$500, depending on where you buy.

2) It's very easy to install a speaker & mic headset. I installed my own custom headset in mine, and there are perfect little voids already in the helmet ready to accommodate the speaker and mic.

3) My face shield is not from Kali, although they are working on offering one. This one is a replacement shield for the Bilt Explorer Discovery Adventure helmet, available through Cycle Gear for $14.99 - a really good price.
https://www.cyclegear.com/gear/bilt-explorer-discovery-adventure-face-shield
It fits pretty well as you can see, but I expect the Kali version will fit a bit better. Cycle Gear offers 5 different shades/colors for this face shield. I don't know exactly when Kali will have their version ready or how many shades they will offer.

RM
Send private message  Rating: 3 thumbs up
krryerson
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote #5   
Hi,
Will this replacement shield for the Bilt Explorer Discovery Adventure helmet, work for my Kali Avatar II?
Knut
remmoore
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote #6   
Nicos wrote:
Also, being CF, would that mean the structure is compromised by a hairline fracture?

Yes, the helmet shell would be compromised by a hairline fracture. But what typical helmet shell would not be compromised? If any helmet has hit hard enough to be fractured, it's a good bet that the foam is compromised as well. Any helmet that's taken such a hit should be replaced.

RM
Windlord
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote #7   
Very nice RM thumbsup
Torrey Hawks #208
remmoore
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote #8   
Thanks - I'm very happy to own such a quality helmet. Kali is doing some amazing stuff to advance helmet safety.

I had previously mentioned how much smaller this Shiva is when comparing to other MX helmets. I took a couple of comparison shots, with the Shiva next to my Prana helmet. As the photos show, the Shiva is a good 1" smaller in height and length than my Prana. I've also included a photo from Smyly, comparing the Shiva to a Charly No Limit helmet - very little size difference, but the Shiva offers DOT-level protection.

RM

Media BLOCKED

Please REGISTER

Media BLOCKED

Please REGISTER

Media BLOCKED

Please REGISTER
captclem
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:19 pm    Post subject: Kali Shiva Reply with quote #9   
If your unable to locate a Kali Shiva helmet in your size and price, then do what I did. The Motorfist Alpha black carbon is made by Kali. The exact same helmet . I purchased mine for $299 with no shipping or tax. Dave C.
H-4, USHPA#1049 T2 154, Freedom 190
remmoore
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote #10   
Very cool, Dave. You're right, Kali supplies their helmets to Motorfist, who add a few of their own graphics before reselling. You can still see the Kali skull logo on the side trim of the helmet. For those who might want to buy the Motorfist version, but want the graphics-free model like mine, get the "Black/Stealth" model. The "Black/Gold" version has a large grey Motorfist graphic wrapped around the sides and rear, which is hard to see in the photos.

RM
Roadrunner
2 thumbs up
2 thumbs up

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote #11   
HEY TELL ME ABOUT THE FACE SHIELD.
remmoore
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote #12   
Although I've built face shields for my last three helmets, I've had my eye on this manufactured model for awhile. I even tried it on my previous Kali Aatma and Prana models, but it just didn't fit. I've been fine with making my own face shields, but recognize that others may not want to go that route - finding a manufactured face shield would be helpful to anyone interested in such a modification.

As I stated earlier, this replacement face shield for the Bilt Explorer Discovery Adventure helmet fits pretty darn well on my XXL Shiva. I'm sure it will fit even better on any Shiva helmets smaller that the XXL. I took a few photos while I was going through the installation and I"ll share them, here.

I've Included one of the face shield, straight out of the wrapper. It's available from Cycle Gear for $14.99, which is a very good price for a face shield. You can see it has a little flip-up handle right on the front tip, which I ended up removing, but that's a personal preference and isn't required for a good fit.

I spent some time positioning the face shield on the helmet before marking the precise spot to drill my pivot hole. Determining that the pivot location would be on top of the little "ear" tab of the face opening trim, I cut back the trim so I would have a nice recess to install the nut - making for a better shield fit. I used my dremel to carefully make a square hole to place the nylon expansion nut. As you can see. the nut is quite shallow, and only expands beyond the shell interior about 1/8".

Because the pivot point on both the helmet and face shield will likely vary with helmet size, I won't get into precisely how or where I drilled my holes, but I used the shade visor screw and washer for the face shield pivot hardware. I think it's just the right size and looks good, too.

There are a couple of additional details for getting the best fit from this face shield, but I've covered the basics. Anyone interested in actually dong this project can contact me directly. If I get enough response, I may add that information to anther post.

Media BLOCKED

Please REGISTER

Media BLOCKED

Please REGISTER

Media BLOCKED

Please REGISTER
red
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:37 pm    Post subject: Kali Shiva HG Helmet Reply with quote #13   
Campers,

You can epoxy Blind Nuts or new (not pulled) RivNuts from the inside of a helmet, to attach a face shield. See attached pix. Bend the pins flat on the Blind Nuts. Hardware stores like Ace will have them. It's easy to drill a *round* hole in a helmet. Cool

Then you can use plastic machine screws (maybe 1/4"-20 or M6~M7 in size) to attach the face shield. Slice off any excess screw length smoothly, inside the helmet, with a sharp knife when everything is right. Plastic screws will shear off if necessary, without putting undue torque forces on your neck. They are the industry standard, for face shields.

Media BLOCKED

Please REGISTER

Media BLOCKED

Please REGISTER

http://www.xmission.com/~red/
H4, Moyes X2, Falcon Tandem, HES Tracer, Quantum 'chute
remmoore
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Kali Shiva HG Helmet Reply with quote #14   
red wrote:
It's easy to drill a *round* hole in a helmet.

I'm not sure your technique is easier. Sure, drilling the original hole is easy, but then cutting away the EPS foam in order to get the nut's head pushed to the inside of the shell is a bit more difficult. Applying glue or epoxy adds another step to the task. Not crazy hard, but perhaps not easer than my method.

Making a square hole isn't very hard. Using a dremel or electric drill, you start with a small hole at the very center of your pivot point. Using the same small bit, you then simply make an 'X' through the middle of the hole. Just a small amount of edge smoothing and you've got your square hole. All the work is done from of the outside of the helmet - you don't have to glue anything, or even remove the helmet liner.

RM
dbotos
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote #15   
Rem,

Looks nice! Where did you get yours? I'm not finding many places online that sell them and Kali's dealer locator page kept erroring.

I did see this on their site, which is pretty attractive:

"Lifetime Crash Replacement

Crashed and need to replace your helmet? Make sure you're registered and then send us an email: [email protected]

If you have damaged your Kali helmet in a crash, we've got you covered. Send us your helmet and proof of purchase and we'll send you a brand new replacement. You cover the shipping, we'll cover your head. Once you've registered, you're all set."

https://kaliprotectives.com/register
remmoore
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote #16   
I have a local dealer in my hometown, so it's especially easy for me. If you're having trouble locating a local dealer through the website, I would suggest calling Kali directly.

Kali is really dedicated to helmet safety, and not just selling pretty helmets. That dedication comes through with every facet of the company's actions - and is in perfect alignment with their helmet replacement policy.

Speaking of helmet replacement, here's a pretty amazing vid of a competition dirt rider who experienced a 30 foot fall while wearing a Kali helmet - and got back up to complete the course. It's nice that he was able to consider helmet replacement - and not how he was going to recover from a Traumatic Brain Injury.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUtCP7MW_lE

Here's a vid of the same rider, discussing the details for the crash with Kali's owner and principal designer, Brad Waldron, and also details of the helmet technology that saved him. BTW, it's the same stuff that's in my Shiva helmet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbuJOvbntJM

RM
krryerson
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote #17   
After reading “Fly with Dustin” article on September 2, 2014, about his new Kali Avatar II Carbon helmet, decided to retire my Icaro 2000 HG helmet and replace it with this new BMX/Downhill helmet, Kali Avatar II.
When I got the Kali helmet, M-size, 57-58cm in 2014, compared it with my Icaro 2000, L-size, 60 cm.

Measured them on a postal weight, getting 751 grams on the Icaro, including shield attached and got 694 grams on the Kali, without the breakaway visor attached.
Measuring the thickness on my 25 years old Icaro helmet, found it to be ~3/4-inch-thick, with Avatar having ~+1-inch foam thickness.
But, what really sold me, was the special incorporated layers of multi-density cone shapes foam on the Kali and testimonies from BMX/Downhill riders, bragging about the new reduced impact helmet technology.
Good visibility was also a bonus.

Having said that, have now been flying for over 2 years with the Kali helmet and still love it.

Back in November, 2015, learned from remmoore how to build the carbon nose on my helmet and how to build a face shield and got that done too.
Although, bought a Lexon Polycarbonate sheet (plexiglass) from Home Depot, the upgrade version, which was break/shatter resistance.
This plexiglass was very difficult for me to bend, using a heat gun. Nevertheless, by experimenting with plexiglass, found out that the Polycarbonate sheet was very easy to work with and bend, after warming it up first, in the own, to 270F. Did not get any bubbles or heat damage on the shield and used plastic smell for timing.

Of cause, you’ll need to use leather gloves too.
Yet, it took 3 heating sequences, before I had the shield fit to my helmet, using aluminum foil on the helmet, to avoid warm marks on the helmet.

In latest article “You Kali Protectives HG Helmet” by remmoore, writing about the new Kali Shiva HG helmet and using a Bilt Explorer Discovery Adventure Helmet Shield.
That said, bought the Bilt face shield last week, got it, drilled two new holes for pivot points, just like recommended and installed it.
Conclusion, the Bilt face shield fits almost perfect on my M-size Kali Avatar II helmet.
See pictures.

Having 100% goggles accessories was superb, having a homemade plexiglass shield added instead, was terrific, but with the now new Bilt face shield on my Kali, it should be fabulous.
Though, whenever needed a new helmet, looks like the Kali Shiva HG helmet will be my next and wish the Shiva HG helmet was around in 2015.
Would have saved me a lot of work during this seasonal affective disorder time.

Knut (Virginia)

[img]

[/img]
dbotos
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote #18   
remmoore wrote:
I have a local dealer in my hometown, so it's especially easy for me. If you're having trouble locating a local dealer through the website, I would suggest calling Kali directly.

Got in touch with Lance from Marketing. They had some issues with their website, so he's helping me out.
remmoore
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote #19   
dbotos wrote:
remmoore wrote:

Got in touch with Lance from Marketing. They had some issues with their website, so he's helping me out.

I've visited their primary facility twice, and been impressed with how down-to-earth the whole operation is - from owner/designer Brad, all the way down. Good folks.
blindrodie
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote #20   
I have to admit I would rather have a Kali then my CI-NL...

Finally got me convinced!

Cool

Kansas City Hang Glider Supplies
Guggenmos E7
H.E.S. Q330
WW U2 145
FlyTec 6015
CG 1000
Tracer Plus
Organ Donor
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hang Gliding Org Forum Index -> Hang gliding general