1-axis gimbal footage? - Hang Gliding Org - Worlds largest Hang Gliding community, discover Hang Gliding

Search

• Sorry...You must register to activate searching

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hang Gliding Org Forum Index -> Hang gliding Videos->1-axis gimbal footage?
BURY this topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dbotos
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:59 am    Post subject: 1-axis gimbal footage? Reply with quote #1   
Anyone have any footage with just roll-axis stabilization? Curious to see what that would look like versus 2-axis (pitch and roll) stabilization. I've seen some 2-axis video and the glider bobbing up and down in frame makes me feel like I'm on a boat. Can you unplug / lock out one axis on a typical 2-axis gimbal? Assuming a 1-axis would be lighter and simpler if that's all that was wanted.

Thanks,
David
Send private message  Rate this post
MBrosig
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:06 pm    Post subject: Feiyu Tech FY-WG-LITE 1-Axis Wearable Gimbal Reply with quote #2   
David,

Here is a link of a video using a 1-Axis Gimbal (FY-WG-LITE) mounted at the crossbar using GoPro The Strap (Hand + Wrist + Arm + Leg Mount) and GoPro 4 @ 1080p

Link

I'm not sure if it is the mount I'm using, but it add a lot of instability when using the gimbal. Next time I'm flying I'll try to use a different mount to see if it is any better. The other thing that could help is the image stabilization from a newer model.

-mb
dbotos
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote #3   
MB,

Nice to see some gimbal footage from the side - definitely gives a good sense of the flare angles. That FeiyuTech WG Lite single-axis gimbal is one that came up in my searching. Someone else sent me a keel-mounted video taken with that:

https://vimeo.com/193580273

Also came across this Wenpod X1:

http://darewarelabs.com/wenpod-x1-gopro-stabilizer-for-bikes/

For now, I'm going to attempt a DIY gimbal. I ordered a GY-521 board today (3-axis accelerometer + 3 axis gyro). That was a whopping $4 and it looks like a brushless motor might be in the $10-$15 range. My first inclination is to use some variety of Arduino as the controller (which should be relatively cheap - I have a few Uno clones on hand already) and might also need some type of driver board for the brushless motor. I have it roughed out in my mind how the controller will move the motor to minimize error from some balanced setpoint via PID control. We'll see how tricky the details are to make something work in real life...

Thanks,
David
Nicos
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote #4   
I assume you can tweak those settings such that one axis has no travel or whatever, PID settings and the like. All I can tell is that after building and setting up mine I never again want to fuddle with PID settings and such malarky!

There sure is a place for 1-axis but gosh I'm loving the perspective of pilot movement and seeing how the wing flies through the air, especially for folks who have no idea about flying.

Media BLOCKED

Please REGISTER
and log in to see this content
dbotos
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote #5   
Nicos,

You should be able to lock one or more axes of a multi-axis gimbal either programatically (motor torque holds axis from moving) or mechanically (unplug motor and put some sort of bracketry or linkage in place to keep axis from moving).

Do you have any details on your build?

I got the GY-521 hooked up to one of my Uno clones the other night and barfing out raw yaw, pitch, and roll values to the serial monitor. Also installed Processing and did the "teapot" demo where it has a little stick figure airplane in the display window and it mimics the yaw, pitch, and roll of the sensor as you move it around in real time.

Next I need to figure out what brushless motor to get along with any additional driver circuitry and how to get the Arduino to be able to tell it to do position-based motion (either absolute or incremental).

Media BLOCKED

Please REGISTER
Nicos
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote #6   
Cheers dbotos, it was a cheapo Mobius-specific hobbyking kit.

The idea of going into those settings again makes my brain hurt, but I really like the 2-axis perspective just now Smile
dbotos
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote #7   
Cool.

I've been flying with my SJCAM M10, which is a cube-style camera similar to the GoPro Session. I made a mount for it from aluminum channel and an EXMAX mini ball head. Edges of the channel have split silicone aquarium tubing on them (glued on with silicone sealant) for grip and the velcro straps are some 1" x 12" ones I found on Amazon (each riveted on with a single rivet).

Media BLOCKED

Please REGISTER
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hang Gliding Org Forum Index -> Hang gliding Videos