death wish? - Hang Gliding Org - Worlds largest Hang Gliding community, discover Hang Gliding

Search

• Sorry...You must register to activate searching

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hang Gliding Org Forum Index -> Hang gliding Videos->death wish?
BURY this topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lobido
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote #21   
DocSoc wrote:
Lobido wrote:
I see the danger my defense of the Doc has caused. Good lord, what have I DONE?

Is that lil' ol me in the back, getting counsel from SG???

Laughing

Nah, the way I see it, SG is the Bear in the hat, the bears in the background are the horrified other posters, Wingspan was the match, I am the flames, and you, sir, are the hapless forest that wanted to go nutso para skiing.

Send private message Blog  Rate this post
DocSoc
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote #22   
Wow....

So, do you love yourself? Or do you LOOOOVE yourself???

surrender

I'm done... like Foghorn Leghon would say? "I say, I SAY... it's a joke boy... You're tooo short... it went right over your head boy'!

Razz

Lobido
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote #23   
I'm hurtin', Doc, I'm hurtin' real bad. On the other hand, I AM gosh darn lovable.

DocSoc
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote #24   
Well don't know about many others but you're my Fav!

mosh mosh

Making up some "Team Chicken Hawk" shirts.... PM me with address... I'll send you one of the first off the press....

-Soc

Send private message Blog  Rating: 3 thumbs up
addicted2climbing
2 thumbs up
2 thumbs up

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote #25   
Hello all,

I am always surprised how an innocent post like, look at this sport and how I feel it is a deathwish can turn to something it was never meant to be. I never posted it to promote this crazy sport as I titled it death wish for a reason. The video of the guys in the ski area looks realy fun, but it just looks like a liability nightmare to me and any ski area owner. There is enough problems with out of control skiers or boarders on the slopes, but now add 2 more dimensions and you can now be taken out from a low flying skier with spectra lines that can cut you to pieces. Not to mention colliding with each other or lift poles and cables. To me as cool as it does look, it just seems like a foolish idea and will most likely end up putting PG in a bad light that it is even more dangerous then it already is. I sorta looked at it from the perspective of soloing climbers who do not use any ropes. When they fall and kill themselves, the whole climbing comunity is portrayed in a bad light and as a crazy dangerous sport. interesting enough a famous soloer died 3 weeks ago, but in more of a crocodile hunter like crazy fashion. But enough about that.

Both wingspan, Doc Soc and Lobido have their respective opinions and that is great as that is why we all are on here in the first place to get honest and true impressions and advice on our many questions. Sometimes those impressions conflict with others and I see it as a good thing as it makes you see things from different perspectives and it sparks inteligent debate. well most of the time crazy

In a nutshell, to me this speed paragliding just seems stupid and i wonder if those small kites have zippers in the leading edge to pack in the meat and bones when you eventualy clip an arete on the side of a mountian. Thats my opinion and while I think the clip is cool, it does not apeal to me in the sense that maybe speed HG would. However, I see people bagging on the PG comunity based on their safety records and accident rates, and as in any soaring related sport it is the people who push trhe envelope or disregard the conditions that are blatently telling you not to fly that give their respective sports a bad name. I myself came from sailplanes and many of my old flying buddies think I am the crazy one now and they view HG as many here view PG. It is partilay due to unfamiliarity on the discipline and word of mouth as to the negatives of each. In my mind, I think all 3 disciplines can be done in a safe manner, but I will say that the idea of a PG colapsing does make me feel that it is definately the more risky of the 3. At least an HG and a Sailplane remain to be sailplanes in turbulence. PG's can transform themselves into sleepingbags with cables at a moments notice.

Just my 2 cents.

Marc

Send private message  Rating: 3 thumbs up
saltoricco
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote #26   
In defense of speed gliding (since I've once done marketing for one of the producers of these wings), the posted video is hardly the everyday speed riding. They went down one of the most extreme and well-known mountains in the Alps: the Eiger. The riders must have been vastly experienced, and they've likely planned this in detail. I'm no friend of speed riding but what they showed at the Eiger has as much to do with this sport as Angelo's flight over the Everest with hang gliding. There are the young pros that try out the limits, and there's us and the sport.

Holger
Send private message Blog  Rating: 2 thumbs up
addicted2climbing
2 thumbs up
2 thumbs up

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote #27   
well said Saltoricco,

As in any sport there are those on the fringe pushing the limits and then there are the remaining 99% of the people who know better and know their limits and keep well within them. Unfortunatley it is the fringe people who can and often do give the sport a bad name, yet on the flip side those fringe people also spark new interest and are in a sense ambasadors to the public and get new people involved; sort of a catch 22.

Send private message  Rate this post
Wingspan34
2 thumbs up
2 thumbs up

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote #28   
saltoricco wrote:
In defense of speed gliding (since I've once done marketing for one of the producers of these wings), the posted video is hardly the everyday speed riding. They went down one of the most extreme and well-known mountains in the Alps: the Eiger. The riders must have been vastly experienced, and they've likely planned this in detail. I'm no friend of speed riding but what they showed at the Eiger has as much to do with this sport as Angelo's flight over the Everest with hang gliding. There are the young pros that try out the limits, and there's us and the sport.

Holger

Very good point, saltoricco.

So, most of this sport's activity is much more moderate? I can see how that is possible in this case, while much harder in a sport like BASE jumping. Yet how do you moderate this kind of activity in light of the always present radical element? They can almost hide the tiny canopies under their dang jackets. I'm afraid Ski areas will hear about one (or how many other?) fatal accidents involving these things and ban them everywhere - and regular PGs in the process?
Send private message Blog  Rating: Neutral
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hang Gliding Org Forum Index -> Hang gliding Videos