What's the best laptop for editing gopro HD videos? - Hang Gliding Org - Worlds largest Hang Gliding community, discover Hang Gliding

Search

• Sorry...You must register to activate searching

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hang Gliding Org Forum Index -> Q&A, Learning to hang glide->What's the best laptop for editing gopro HD videos?
BURY this topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DBrose
2 thumbs up
2 thumbs up

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:55 pm    Post subject: What's the best laptop for editing gopro HD videos? Reply with quote #1   
since my pc took a crap im debating whats the best laptop for editing gopro HD videos? Mac or pc? I think I wanna go mac. What do the experts say?
Dave (posted via iPhone)

3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote #2   
You beat me to it, I was gonna start a thread about the same thing!
While we are at it, what software is user friendly for a first time video editor?
Send private message  Rate this post
Nicos
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote #3   
Get a Mac.

They are designed, not thrown together from a list of generic third-party parts. Applications like Photoshop and Final Cut Pro are written for Mac, so they tend to perform better.

If you get a recent Mac operating system, you also get some pretty reasonable entry-level video editing software called iMovie (+ a bunch of other useful things) it's pretty simple to use too.

And if you are concerned about not being able to run Windows applications, you can get a Windows emulator which will run faultlessly, and all without restarting your system.

Pretty sweet thumbsup
relate2
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote #4   
The only problem I see is if you want to edit 1080 video on a lap top. You need the most powerful computer you can get to edit Full HD video and for the money a PC will give you more bang for your buck.

Good luck. Smile

My youtube channel
http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2#p/u
JV-Joe
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote #5   
Nicos wrote:
Get a Mac.

They are designed, not thrown together from a list of generic third-party parts. Applications like Photoshop and Final Cut Pro are written for Mac, so they tend to perform better.

If you get a recent Mac operating system, you also get some pretty reasonable entry-level video editing software called iMovie (+ a bunch of other useful things) it's pretty simple to use too.

And if you are concerned about not being able to run Windows applications, you can get a Windows emulator which will run faultlessly, and all without restarting your system.

Pretty sweet thumbsup

couldnt have said it better!! my sister and my brother in law graduated from academy of art in SF, and all they use for any video/photo edit are MACS. i used to be a PC, but after visiting the school and was shocked at how MACs perform in CS4 or any editing software. Difference for me was like night and day. Plus a MAC just works! we bought my prehistoric father one and now all we do is video chat, no more phone calls! he spends most his time at the apple store attending the free classes. I dont work for MAC, but i really am just a big fan of them!
jimrooney
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote #6   
Quick answer... Get a mac.

Long answer... what are you really looking for?
Really, when you ask for "the best"... well... there's some amazing stuff out there, but it's going to cost you an arm and a leg, so I doubt that's actually what you're looking for.

I mean, if ya wana spend $6k on a laptop, here ya go...
http://www.amazon.com/Dell-Precision-Performance-UltraSharp-Ultra-Wideband/dp/B003WSIEQO/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1280986992&sr=1-1
That'll edit GoPro footage screamingly fast.

Jim
Nicos
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote #7   
I will state here that I use (and am fluent with) both PC and Mac. But don't get me started about Microsoft!

Typically these 'bang for buck' comparisons are short-term, classic 'economic rationalism' somewhat irrational and with a very short term view. The problem with such a comparison is reliability, actual performance, and length of 'life'. Oh, and reality. I guess that's more than one.

Reliability is good if this is your tool. When you need a quality tool, you need it to work well. You need it to work when you need it to work, no faffing around with downgrading your OS, no virus chit, no constant maddening messages, etc, etc, etc.

Actual (not theoretical) performance increases a computer's working life (delaying redundancy ). PCs may have massive CPU speeds quoted which are normally only theoretical speeds, nothing much to do with reality (ie. doesn't consider everything else in the system that slow processing down like RAM, BUS speed, etc etc etc).

So while a Mac may cost twice as much now, it's parts are likely to be way more reliable and it would normally last at least twice as long as it's PC counterpart before becoming redundant for performance resource reasons (eg video etc).

In the end (if you use your computer as a tool), it's cheaper, far less frustrating AND better to own a Mac. Generally speaking. And because of reliability and speed, your machine will be able to serve you when you need it!

I use my day job computer for heavy processing and I've restarted the thing twice in 4 years.

And when you upgrade your Mac, you plug it in to the old one and click 2 buttons to make your new Mac exactly the same as your old Mac passwords, screen layouts, everything! It's seamless. I'm not into computers, but Macs have by now come of age and are kicking botty.
zippidy
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote #8   
I had always built my own desktop PCs until about 4 months ago. My desktop died and I was sick of fixing it. I debated and then decided to buy a 15" macbook pro.

I can say I am 100% happy with my decision. It was expensive, but it runs smoothly and handles the gopro HD files natively and seamlessly. And the giant track pad with the multi-touch controls is really a plus if your going to be using the laptop for media editing I think. I can hardly use my work laptop (PC) anymore because I'm so use to quickly flinging stuff around the screen with the mac tracpad.

The only thing that has taken some adjusting is fighting with the mac on where and how to store my media files. Iphoto and iMovie both want to make copies of your media and put them in their own special location on your hard drive. There are ways to stop this and keep the files where you want them (say on an external drive), but it took a little research to figure out.

Anyway, get a macbook pro. You won't regret it.

If you can't be fast, look fast - ACP
http://pilotneedsride.blogspot.com
bagbgone
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote #9   
I've given Steve and and rest of the Apple folks thousands of dollars over the years. Plenty of PC's will keep up and my latest HP laptop (work purchased) crashes far less than my girl's Power Mac. Just don't load it up with third rate software. Adobe and Mac haven't gotten along for years now (try using flash on your iphone). Mac is the new Microsoft, so save your dough and buy a good PC with plenty of RAM and a fast hard drive.

I'm assuming that cost is a serious consideration, we are talking about editing for a $300 video camera after all.

3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote #10   
Also just to balance the Mac thread a bit, I used Macs for 2 years in one of my previous jobs and they do crash people and they can be frustrating, maybe not as much as a PC but they are not without faults. Also you really cannot upgrade your Mac very much, it is either put up with it or buy another complete Mac computer.

I personally have used clone PC's for the last 15 years and all I have done is every couple of years I upgrade the graphics card, every three years or so I upgrade the motherboard and cpu which keeps me at the bleeding edge of computing power for maybe $1,000 every three years. No I do not do the upgrading myself I have a local computer shop that does it for me. Also be aware I am talking about desktop computing not Laptops, they are much harder to upgrade be it PC or Mac.

Now 5 to 8 years ago I would agree with most people PC's were problematic, mainly the operating system more than the hardware. These days with Vista and Windows 7 they have no more problems than Macs have.

My youtube channel
http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2#p/u
Sabre

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote #11   
A VERY robust PC and Sony Vegas is the best way to go, in my opinion.
paddyz1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote #12   
Here is a vid that i have done with windows movie maker. No extra software. It is a very powerful program and easy to use.

Not hang gliding related but you can see just some of the effects that are available with movie maker (there are lots of transitions and other stuff with MM that are not in the vid)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUATBh700U4
LittleWing
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote #13   
I'm in the Mac camp. I got myself the MacbookPro, with a kick ass hard drive and memory.

I made my decision after experiencing both the PC movie maker editing environment and the Mac iMovie environment with manipulating my GoPro footage. I discovered that the Mac used less hard drive space, and was more user friendly in editing a movie project. I was also able to complete the editing project faster in iMovie. With movie maker you have to convert GoPro movies to another format then bring them into the software application for editing.

I have been using iMovie, and very happy with what it provides. Although, I have crashed the Mac. iMovie also has a function where you can publish your movie directly to YouTube in one step. Occasionally, I have noticed a glitchy thing with trying to post directly to YouTube. If iMovie doesn't publish to YouTube in one step, you have to export the movie to your hard drive, then upload the movie to YouTube.

Anyhow, good luck with your research and purchase.

http://www.youtube.com/user/the1missinglink

H3 FL CL FSL
Falcon 140
GoPro Hero HD
MacBook Pro 13"
zippidy
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote #14   
paddyz1 wrote:
Here is a vid that i have done with windows movie maker. No extra software. It is a very powerful program and easy to use.

Movie Maker will not process the GoPro HD video files natively. You have to convert them to some other format first.

Sony Vegas is a good program to use for GoPro HD editing on the PC.
Imovie or any of the mac editing software will work on a mac.

If you can't be fast, look fast - ACP
http://pilotneedsride.blogspot.com
TomGalvin
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote #15   
http://laptops.toshiba.com/laptops/qosmio/X500/X505-Q880
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote #16   
zippidy wrote:
.......Sony Vegas is a good program to use for GoPro HD editing on the PC.............
Vegas will not read a GoPro HD file larger than 2 GB. The only solution is to transcode it first which defeats much of the purpose and clutters HD space.
Send private message Blog  Rate this post
kamikaze
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote #17   
Mac...they just work!!!will never go back to a PC ever,the time you lose with
compatibility issues,viruses,crashes, drivers,and the things get slower the more you use them??Save a few bucks then lose days and days sorting s*** out when all you want it to do is work...get a mac mosh
AdamBomb
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote #18   
I have been using a Vista powered Laptop with windows MM. Movie Maker is simple to use right up untill the display driver crashes because Microsoft Farken Sucks......am definately in the market for a mac...I too am fed up with PC's You also eat up a lot of time converting the file formats as well......ughhh!!!! Evil or Very Mad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hang Gliding Org Forum Index -> Q&A, Learning to hang glide