"Flight of the Conduit Condor" - Hang Gliding Org - Worlds largest Hang Gliding community, discover Hang Gliding

Search

• Sorry...You must register to activate searching

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hang Gliding Org Forum Index -> Hang gliding general->"Flight of the Conduit Condor"
BURY this topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WR2

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:17 am    Post subject: "Flight of the Conduit Condor" Reply with quote #1   
Hi folks. You have some generous and intelligent people around here. Nice site.
I’m a newbie and I understand I can’t post a links until I have 5 previous posts and I respect that. My intentions are to share my perspective on Hang Gliding. In particular the brief flight of my Conduit Condor. Some of you old timers or “Hangin’ Historians” might recognize the bird by name. Well, I’m here and I can be generous but I’m not exactly the brightest light bulb in the string. I guess on my flight Darwin was taking a potty break.
http://wr24u.wordpress.com/2010/07/17/flight-of-the-conduit-condor/

Thanks for reading and BubbleBoy was kind enough to offer to post my story link here when he gets a chance.
Hope you enjoy.
WR2
P.S. Maybe a moderator can move the link to my post so BB doesn't get unwanted messages?

Last edited by WR2 on Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Send private message  Rate this post
AIRTHUG
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote #2   
WR2- If you reply a few times to this thread, you will then be able to post links etc... replies don't have to say much, just a number will do... I think you need 5 total before you can post the link?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:02 am    Post subject: Thnx Ryan and Bubbleboy Reply with quote #3   
WR2

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:03 am    Post subject: ....when I'm done talking..... Reply with quote #4   
WR2

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:04 am    Post subject: ....to myself I guess I can edit....... Reply with quote #5   
AIRTHUG
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote #6   
thumbsup

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:06 am    Post subject: ....the link into the original post? Reply with quote #7   
#5.... I Think?

Thanks for all the patience.
WR2
red
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: ....the link into the original post? Reply with quote #8   
WR2,

Yep, that's five. Cool Great tale! You've come to the right place. What's next?
http://www.xmission.com/~red/#ic

Mr. Green

Media BLOCKED

Please REGISTER
and log in to see this content

http://www.xmission.com/~red/
H4, Moyes X2, Falcon Tandem, HES Tracer, Quantum
WR2

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote #9   
Thanks Ryan, Red, BubbleBoy and to everyone that took the time to read my little story. I’m sincerely appreciative.

Red - What’s next? I’m not sure. I’m cogitating on going back to work on my cookbook “Backwoods BBQ; the French Connection” once the 3rd degree burns heal. There was a slight miscalculation regarding the quantity of diesel starter for the first chapter “OPI” (that’s Open Pit Ignition for the less cultural). It should have been 2 cups and not 2 gallons. Chapter 2, “Hyper-Speed Injection Flavoring” should be less problematic.

I might also tinker with www.HorizontalGophers.com a bit to add a bit more down-home feel to it.

Regards and thanks again,
WR2
BubbleBoy
1 thumbs up
1 thumbs up

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote #10   
VERY COOL WR2. Sorry I was out for a bit (traveling), but glad you got that story up ... it a great one.

JB
bobk
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote #11   
Excellent story. It was a nice blend of aviation and memories of the crazy things most of us were lucky to survive from our youth.

If you're ever interested in where that ride might have taken you, you should check out the movie "Big Blue Sky" sometime. It's pretty much the history of hang gliding and it shows you how that same Popular Science article launched a new branch of aviation.

Best wishes, and thanks for sharing that story.

Send private message Blog  Rate this post
Steve-O!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote #12   
5?
dayhead
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote #13   
Great story. I've heard quite a few similar to it.

The "Conduit Condor" was designed and built by Richard Miller, who was way ahead of his time, back in '71. Everyone else was building Bamboo Batsos and Hang Looses, but Richard did his homework and used a planform not unlike what we use today. And he had a defined airfoil to boot.
Ken.de.Russy
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote #14   
dayhead wrote:
Great story. I've heard quite a few similar to it.

The "Conduit Condor" was designed and built by Richard Miller, who was way ahead of his time, back in '71. Everyone else was building Bamboo Batsos and Hang Looses, but Richard did his homework and used a planform not unlike what we use today. And he had a defined airfoil to boot.

Hey Steve,

I am not sure in what way Miller was ahead of his time. His Bat Glider was an extremely low functioning glider that never achieved much success much less airtime. In '66 and 67' plans based on his Bat Glider sold in the tens of thousands. The publisher told me not one person ever contacted him to report any flight success. I am still waiting to hear from even one person that can verify they actually flew one from plans. By '65 John Dickenson and Rod Fuller had scores of hours on a highly refined and fully functional wing. As for the Conduit Condor it barely flew. I am unaware of any flights beyond what he was filmed making at the Lilienthal Meet and by that point in time Dickenson wings had accumulated as many as hundreds of hours around the world.

Here are two recent articles, one from the Australian Hang Gliding Magazine http://www.australian-hang-gliding-history.com/concise-history/original-concise-article.html and one from the United Kingdom hang Gliding magazine http://www.australian-hang-gliding-history.com/magazines/mark-graeme-article.html

As I know you know I have an extensive library and the "creation myth" of hang gliding is erroneous in nearly every account I have read. We were all duped. Thankfully we now have a vastly better account to explain our origins.

USHGA Dual Division Life/Charter Member #5114
Hang Gliding Museum Collector Guy
Anacortes, WA
360 293 8621 Skype Me ken.de.russy

Museum Photo Album
http://picasaweb.google.com/ken.derussy/KenDeRussySHangGlidingMuseum?feat=directlink

Historic Movies - Be sure to expand comments by clicking on "More from this user".
http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=weflyuniv

Museum Studies Thesis - Ken de Russy's Hang Gliding Museum
http://tinyurl.com/89c2n6s

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/HangGlidingMuseum/ Owner

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NanolightTrikers/ Owner
dayhead
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote #15   
Ken, thanks for the post. I must admit I was relying on memory, and did no research.
I'm appreciative of all the work you've done in regards the history of our sport.

When I commented that Richard Miller was ahead of his time, I was referring to the design of the Conduit Condor, that it had a basic aerodynamic configuration not too much unlike the planforms we enjoy today. While it may not have flown very well, we should bear in mind that it was a first effort.

I didn't know, or maybe had just forgotten, about the whole Bat thing.

By the way, I have a Stratus HG. It is double surfaced, with curved aluminum tip structure, and has crossbars instead of a bowsprit. A guy was trying to sell it at a yard sale, and when he couldn't sell it I talked him into giving it to me.

Would this glider be of any use to the museum?

Long live the King!
Steve
bobk
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote #16   
Ken.de.Russy wrote:
As I know you know I have an extensive library and the "creation myth" of hang gliding is erroneous in nearly every account I have read. We were all duped. Thankfully we now have a vastly better account to explain our origins.

Hi Ken,

As one of the stars in "Big Blue Sky", I was just wondering if you had any comments or reviews to share. I bought a copy from USHPA and loved it so much that I went back and bought 3 more to share with friends. As you can see above, I try to endorse it whenever I can.

What are your thoughts? Is it an accurate account of the "early days" in your opinion? Are there parts you particularly liked or are there aspects of the sport (and its history) that you wish had gotten better coverage?

Thanks for any comments and for your early pioneering of the sport.

Bob Kuczewski

Send private message Blog  Rate this post
Bobfly
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote #17   
Great story, WR2. It brought back some good memories of my childhood and the crazy stuff I somehow survived. Thanks for posting it.
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote #18   
While reading WR2's story I kept thinking about that video of the early Will's boys adventure with their "Red Baron" biplane they built and towed behind a car.
Ken.de.Russy
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote #19   
[/quote]
Hi Ken,

As one of the stars in "Big Blue Sky", I was just wondering if you had any comments or reviews to share. I bought a copy from USHPA and loved it so much that I went back and bought 3 more to share with friends. As you can see above, I try to endorse it whenever I can.

What are your thoughts? Is it an accurate account of the "early days" in your opinion? Are there parts you particularly liked or are there aspects of the sport (and its history) that you wish had gotten better coverage?

Thanks for any comments and for your early pioneering of the sport.

Bob Kuczewski[/quote]

Hi Bob,

I spare no superlatives in describing "Big Blue Sky". Bill Liscomb told the story of the sport as I remembered it when I stumbled upon it in 73. I was particularly moved by Peter Brock's comments of how every day dawned with looking out the window and wondering what excitement was in store for the day. Donnita Hall's comments speaking to the adventure touched my heart and reminded me of my awareness at the time that what I was doing was somehow history making or unprecedented. But the most poignant remark came from Tom Peghiney when he said that life since those early days has been a disappointment by comparison.

Bill did a brilliant job of telling our story. More than any other video/film that covers our history "Big Blue Sky" evokes the feelings of magic I remember. For what it attempted to do the movie succeeds wonderfully.

The part of the story it does not cover is where exactly the so-called "Standard Rogallo" wing came from. This is in large part because the true story has only quite recently come to light. It is almost entirely the result of the Jack Russell tenacity of Graeme Henderson' sleuthing, Graeme's research has uncovered the true origins of the device that was solely responsible for the pandemic spread of the incipient modern sport of hang gliding. The Dickenson Wing is precisely why there is a sport of hang gliding and the great irony is that Francis Rogallo seems to have had a vanishingly small role in the formative days of the sport and little, if anything, to do with the wing that bears his name. John Dickenson's creative and disciplined mind is the source of our sport. Dickenson is the reason our sport exists.

Maybe after reading the two articles referenced above you can comment on how they shift your understanding of our history. I look forward to your review.

USHGA Dual Division Life/Charter Member #5114
Hang Gliding Museum Collector Guy
Anacortes, WA
360 293 8621 Skype Me ken.de.russy

Museum Photo Album
http://picasaweb.google.com/ken.derussy/KenDeRussySHangGlidingMuseum?feat=directlink

Historic Movies - Be sure to expand comments by clicking on "More from this user".
http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=weflyuniv

Museum Studies Thesis - Ken de Russy's Hang Gliding Museum
http://tinyurl.com/89c2n6s

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/HangGlidingMuseum/ Owner

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NanolightTrikers/ Owner
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hang Gliding Org Forum Index -> Hang gliding general