World Cup - Hang Gliding Org - Worlds largest Hang Gliding community, discover Hang Gliding

Search

  • Sorry...You must register to activate searching









Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hang Gliding Org Forum Index -> The camp fire->World Cup
BURY this topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Erik Boehm
1 thumbs up
1 thumbs up


Joined: 26 Aug 2007
Posts: 2867
Location: Geneva

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:39 am    Post subject: World Cup Reply with quote #1   
Update:
Die Schweiz gewinnen 1:0 gegen Spanien.

First, The Brits can't even beat team USA.

Now the Swiss beat the Spanish - result, drunken party in the streets in central Zürich.
I get back to the student hostel, where many Spaniards are, many of which I do not particularly care for.
I can feign ignorance and ask them the outcome/score, or just ask them how upset they are.

And tomorrow, I get to rub it in, to a Frenchy who hoped they would lose, and lose badly (because he says the Swiss always seem to root against France, no matter the opponent).
He said they had no chance against Spain (I believe spain was considered a serious contender to win the world cup/ top ranked team), and I asked him what he would do if somehow tiny Switzerland (which isn't highly ranked) beat Spain, he just chuckled and dismissed the possibility.

Ah, first thing I say to him tomorrow will be of the Swiss victory.

A smile has been put on my face.

Ich habe ein Bier für die Schweiz.
Prost!

_________________
Adyr - being a condescending prick since 2012
Send private message  Rate this post
Jason
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up


Joined: 02 Jan 2007
Posts: 8535
Location: Stapleton, Colorado

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote #2   
dont much care

but did someone say drunken party? Shocked

_________________
TSA, NSA Sieg Heil! (HAIL VICTORY)
Send private message  Rate this post
Dreamer
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up


Joined: 08 Nov 2009
Posts: 62
Location: Woodbridge, New Jersey

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote #3   
http://www.theonion.com/video/soccer-officially-announces-it-is-gay,17603/
Send private message  Rate this post
Erik Boehm
1 thumbs up
1 thumbs up


Joined: 26 Aug 2007
Posts: 2867
Location: Geneva

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote #4   
Jason wrote:
but did someone say drunken party? Shocked


Yea, who says the Swiss are uptight.

I was doing an errand, and wasn't taking my normal route home, so I decided to take a tram to the haupbahnhof, and take the train back rather than the shorter but slower route with more tram/bus changes.

Well, the tram never made it to the Haupbahhof.
Over the PA system came an "Achtung", and something about fussball fans blocking traffic in the inner city, and a little while later something about how the trams were detouring around it.
My comprehension was far from perfect, but I think I got the main point - but I didn't know the nature of the Soccer mob - Switzerland has had very few instances of soccer hooliganism.
So I got off at the closest stop the tram was going to and walked.
The crowd was cheering, waving flags all over the place, punting soccer balls high into the air, drinking, making lewd gestures toward equally drunken swiss women, etc.
I surmised that Switzerland won.
So I lingered around for a while, before going into the haupbahnhof, where there was one of those grids of lights that form letters/words, and crawling across it was:
"Die Schweiz gewinnen 1:0 gegen Spanien."
Or something very close to that.
Then I recalled what Frenchy in the lab had said, and knew the next morning would have some entertainment at his expense.

Then I got back, and all the Spaniards were pouting, I just find it hilarious.

The US-Britain game got some laughs too.


_________________
Adyr - being a condescending prick since 2012
Send private message  Rate this post
Holger
2 thumbs up
2 thumbs up


Joined: 03 Sep 2008
Posts: 851
Location: Portland, OR

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote #5   
Erik, you're starting to mix German into your postings. Thought I'd let you know that people soon might not understand you here. Laughing
Send private message  Rate this post
Darbbb
2 thumbs up
2 thumbs up


Joined: 11 Feb 2009
Posts: 1132
Location: Western Maryland

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote #6   
Robert Green nows says there is something wrong with the balls made by Adidas. Yeah, good plan....blame the ball..... crazy
Send private message  Rate this post
Jason
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up


Joined: 02 Jan 2007
Posts: 8535
Location: Stapleton, Colorado

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote #7   
i went to yardhouse and did catch the goal the Swiss scored on the spainards


wasn't the prettiest goal ive ever seen, but a goal is a goal

_________________
TSA, NSA Sieg Heil! (HAIL VICTORY)
Send private message  Rate this post
andyh
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up


Joined: 27 Feb 2009
Posts: 117
Location: London, UK

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:56 am    Post subject: Re: World Cup Reply with quote #8   
Erik Boehm wrote:
First, The Brits can't even beat team USA.

Second, Team USA can't even beat the Brits Wink

_________________
CP Hill; CP Tow
Airborne Sting2 XC
Ozone Mojo
Send private message Blog  Rate this post
HGXC
1 thumbs up
1 thumbs up


Joined: 22 Jul 2006
Posts: 3290

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote #9   
This sport suffers from a seriously lack of scoring. And BTW the Brits had to be the slowest team I have seen so far. Everyone talked about there skill levels and cried about the bad ball and all that but really the US team out ran them.

I prefer South American teams in soccer. Quicker better ball handling, more athletic overall.

Back to my Yankees Mr. Green

Dennis

_________________
Organ Donation Saves Lives

Glider = Ventus B. ATOS B-V, Rating = H5, Private Pilot /Glider
Send private message Blog  Rate this post
Erik Boehm
1 thumbs up
1 thumbs up


Joined: 26 Aug 2007
Posts: 2867
Location: Geneva

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote #10   
Holger wrote:
Erik, you're starting to mix German into your postings. Thought I'd let you know that people soon might not understand you here. Laughing


Aber, du kannst, nicht wahr?

I think people can guess that gewinnen = win, if it is accompanied by a score and two easily guessable names of teams/countries - ie Spanien and Schweiz

Also, I think "Achtung" is fairly well known as well- and clear in the context.

And Hauptbahnhof - well I suppose "Main Train Station" is the literal translation, but it doesn't do it justice, so I just use the German word.
Its not just a train station, its like a n underground shopping mall, information center, its the main hub of the city, or the heart of the city.
Its got a museum - well I guess the museum is just adjacent to it, but you can walk straight from the station to the museum without crossing a street (actually, you'd cross under the street).
Its not just a train station, but the center of the bus+tram network as well.
Its got a large area where they sometimes have indoor sporting events (like exhibition volleyball matches or some other BS), food stands/bazaars, etc

The Haupbahnhof, is very different from the other Bahnhofs (which are simply train stations/stops).
I can't think of a good english word for it, because we have nothing like it in the US.

_________________
Adyr - being a condescending prick since 2012
Send private message  Rate this post
HGXC
1 thumbs up
1 thumbs up


Joined: 22 Jul 2006
Posts: 3290

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote #11   
Erik Boehm wrote:
Holger wrote:
Erik, you're starting to mix German into your postings. Thought I'd let you know that people soon might not understand you here. Laughing


Aber, du kannst, nicht wahr?

I think people can guess that gewinnen = win, if it is accompanied by a score and two easily guessable names of teams/countries - ie Spanien and Schweiz

Also, I think "Achtung" is fairly well known as well- and clear in the context.

And Hauptbahnhof - well I suppose "Main Train Station" is the literal translation, but it doesn't do it justice, so I just use the German word.
Its not just a train station, its like a n underground shopping mall, information center, its the main hub of the city, or the heart of the city.
Its got a museum - well I guess the museum is just adjacent to it, but you can walk straight from the station to the museum without crossing a street (actually, you'd cross under the street).
Its not just a train station, but the center of the bus+tram network as well.
Its got a large area where they sometimes have indoor sporting events (like exhibition volleyball matches or some other BS), food stands/bazaars, etc

The Haupbahnhof, is very different from the other Bahnhofs (which are simply train stations/stops).
I can't think of a good english word for it, because we have nothing like it in the US.



Grand Central?

Dennis

_________________
Organ Donation Saves Lives

Glider = Ventus B. ATOS B-V, Rating = H5, Private Pilot /Glider
Send private message Blog  Rate this post
darkcloud
2 thumbs up
2 thumbs up


Joined: 15 May 2007
Posts: 380
Location: SoCal

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: World Cup Reply with quote #12   
andyh wrote:
Erik Boehm wrote:
First, The Brits can't even beat team USA.

Second, Team USA can't even beat the Brits Wink


Thirdly, not even the players on team USA considered the possibility of beating England. That tie must have hurt bad. Really bad. Wink Wink
Send private message  Rate this post
axo
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up


Joined: 22 Mar 2007
Posts: 1189
Location: Miami Beach

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote #13   
VAMOS ARGENTINA CARAJO!!!!!!!!!

If we keep playing like this and may be a bit better we will kick ass mosh

This is how gay "soccer" (football) is:



Media BLOCKED

Please REGISTER
and log in to see this content

_________________
Aeros Target 13 <---SOLD
Sport 2 135
H2 - AT
Send private message  Rate this post
axo
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up


Joined: 22 Mar 2007
Posts: 1189
Location: Miami Beach

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote #14   
BTW.. i vote number 4th from left to right Laughing
_________________
Aeros Target 13 <---SOLD
Sport 2 135
H2 - AT
Send private message  Rate this post
Erik Boehm
1 thumbs up
1 thumbs up


Joined: 26 Aug 2007
Posts: 2867
Location: Geneva

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote #15   
HGXC wrote:
Grand Central?


Perhaps, I'm not familiar with New York.
I can say I haven't seen anything like Haupbahnhofs in California.
The BART stations are nothing like them.

_________________
Adyr - being a condescending prick since 2012
Send private message  Rate this post
HGXC
1 thumbs up
1 thumbs up


Joined: 22 Jul 2006
Posts: 3290

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote #16   
Erik Boehm wrote:
HGXC wrote:
Grand Central?


Perhaps, I'm not familiar with New York.
I can say I haven't seen anything like Haupbahnhofs in California.
The BART stations are nothing like them.


There are no cities west of Chicago and nothing like NYC. Check it out sometime. On any given weekend your choice of 25+ broadway plays, jazz clubs and yes Grand Central. Google it.

Dennis

_________________
Organ Donation Saves Lives

Glider = Ventus B. ATOS B-V, Rating = H5, Private Pilot /Glider
Send private message Blog  Rate this post
Ed061
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up


Joined: 18 Apr 2008
Posts: 128
Location: Oz

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote #17   


If all teams wore outfits like this, I'm sure women's soccer would gain a lot more attention!! Mr. Green
Send private message  Rate this post
knumbknuts
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up


Joined: 05 Dec 2006
Posts: 5023
Location: Carlsbad, CA

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote #18   
HGXC wrote:
Erik Boehm wrote:
HGXC wrote:
Grand Central?


Perhaps, I'm not familiar with New York.
I can say I haven't seen anything like Haupbahnhofs in California.
The BART stations are nothing like them.


There are no cities west of Chicago and nothing like NYC. Check it out sometime. On any given weekend your choice of 25+ broadway plays, jazz clubs and yes Grand Central. Google it.

Dennis


I will give Chicago credit for carrying the entire timezone on its shoulders.

That having been said, having lived in a lot of interesting places: Pensacola, Honolulu, Leningrad, Buenos Aires (yea I was young), Honolulu, Melbourne (not the one in Florida), Helena, San Francisco, Newport Beach, Huntington Beach, Virginia Beach, and now Carlsbad...

San Francisco is a hell of a great city. Unless Chicago has a legion of horny, hot, female midgets with squirt guns full of Stoli martinis, I wouldn't trade a half dozen Chicagos for one San Francisco, even given the type of squirting midget they have there. NYC isn't even worth mention. Take out Broadway and it's just plain nasty with bad food.

And North San Diego County is the best place I've found to live with a family (throw Fresno, Davis, Irvine, San Bernardino, and Milton (FL), and Temecula on to places I've lived for comparison sake on that one).

And, in sum, but for my hang gliding brethren, I am perfectly content with East Coasties thinking they are pulling one over on us out here where the weather is perfect and the women weigh less than the men.
Send private message Blog  Rate this post
fast



Joined: 15 Jun 2010
Posts: 5
Location: ohio

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote #19   
Ghana did one hell of a job beating the USA yesterday....sad for the US though.
Send private message  Rate this post
Rcpilot
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up


Joined: 12 Aug 2009
Posts: 878
Location: Turd Rock.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote #20   
That's 5 , OK everybody check the classifieds. Mr. Green
_________________
http://thecloudbasefoundation.org/home.html
Send private message Blog  Rate this post
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hang Gliding Org Forum Index -> The camp fire
 
All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2


 
Jump to:  


(c) HangGliding.org All rights reserved. Based on PhpBB