build a glider? - Hang Gliding Org - Worlds largest Hang Gliding community, discover Hang Gliding

Search

• Sorry...You must register to activate searching

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hang Gliding Org Forum Index -> Hang gliding general->build a glider?
BURY this topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vovva

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:06 pm    Post subject: build a glider? Reply with quote #1   
Hi!

We have got a project at our high-school so I wonder if it is possible to build a hang glider by yourself. It is very interesting for me and i wanded to link my schoolarship with my interests that's why I'm asking.
If it is possible, so can you please wrigt down some links to the pictures or drawings, and may be give some names of hang gliders, which construction is possible to copy.
thank you very much. Idea Wink
Send private message  Rate this post
sg
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote #2   
As long as you never plan to fly it, I guess thats ok.
A modern hangglider is not something you can build easily though.
An old rogallo, wouldnt be too hard, but I wouldnt try flying it either Wink
Send private message Blog  Rate this post
CHassan
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote #3   
Ditto
vovva

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote #4   
ok, guys; so you mean that it will be unsafe to fly that one.
Fine than... do you know if for example wills wing can ship a glider all over the world?
sg
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote #5   
I bet most glider manufacturers ship almost anywhere. If they dont, you can always setup further shipping.

Since youre in sweden, why not order one of the many euro built gliders available on the market?
FormerFF
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote #6   
vovva wrote:
Fine than... do you know if for example wills wing can ship a glider all over the world?

Airwave distributes Wills Wing in Europe.
aquarian0124

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:19 pm    Post subject: building a glider Reply with quote #7   
anyone can build a glider as long you have the right measurements and materials. gliders are build by humans, so why can't we. as for me i build a lot of things that has been copied to others. and i make it a point that i will make my project better than the original one. so if anyone can send me on how to build a trike and wings, the right measurements and materials i would appreciate it very much. email don_otiks@yahoo.com
sg
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote #8   
Quote from a hanggliding FAQ on the net

Quote:
CAN I BUILD MY OWN HANG GLIDER?
Considering the inability of most people to set a VCR timer, this is not a good idea. Seriously, glider manufacturers use sophisticated CAD design and automated workshops to produce precision airfoils. Glider designs undergo extensive flight testing. Like any aircraft, home building is not a simple or quick solution for the inexperienced engineer. And in addition, "kits" are not commonly available for gliders anymore.
FormerFF
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote #9   
This is from the Wills Wing website, in an answer as to why they can't provide a sail for an out of production glider:

"In reality, we can't make sails for gliders that have been out of production for very long. (This is true for the same reason that NASA could no longer make a Saturn V rocket if they wanted to.) Even though we have all the documentation now that we had then, there is too much knowledge about how to make the sail that resides only in the minds of the sailmakers (exactly how to tension and register this panel to that one, etc.) and once the sail is out of production, this knowledge is lost."

Apparently there is a lot of nuance in the construction of a hang glider. It seems odd when you consider how many people successfully build a homebuilt power plane.
Brad Hall
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 5:35 pm    Post subject: homebuilt Reply with quote #10   
There is a huge difference between a homebuilt airplane and a hang glider.
Airplanes have templates for almost every part, along with detailed fabrication
and construction plans. If part "A" does not fit in tab "B" it is clear that something is wrong. Even with all the plans followed to the letter it is still
possible to screw it up. Building a HG sail is science and art combined.
It is an almost "fluid" medium and takes years of experience to get it right.
Wills Wing has a computer operated layout and cutting process that is amazing to watch. Even with the very close tollerances involved, it still comes down to the skill of the sailmaker. In the early days of HGing it was fairly easy to build your own. It was also easy to kill yoursrlf doing it. That hasn't changed much in 35 years. The tensioning, planform, curves, double surfaces, shear ribs ect. have made todays wings a complicated and beautiful work of art.
Do yourself a favor and buy a used wing. Learn to fly it and enjoy the experience of flying. Far more satisfing that building your own. Be safe and listen to the pilots that have been around for the long run and you will find a lifelong joy that few on this planet will ever know.
Brad
Send private message  Rating: 3 thumbs up
MichaelR

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote #11   
I've already got the glider. Now if someone could send me plans to build my own powered harness..... Wink
rpf

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote #12   
A school shop produced hang glider is not a out of question project. The hard part will be finding a hang gliding company to sponcer/mentor your project. You will need to let them know that this is for educational and/or craftmanship development. You are advised to have the sail and hardware supplied. Steps such as cutting, drilling, bushing and sleeving the tubing ;as well as rigging and assembling would be as much I recommend. It will requier instruction, supervision, and the resolve to scrap any part that is not airworthy.- I remember a young man named Chuck who built "Kites" (early model hang gliders) in his garage- today he is the worlds most sucsessful producer of ultralight aircraft.
TomGalvin
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote #13   
crazy
Wingspan34
2 thumbs up
2 thumbs up

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote #14   
vovva,

Here is a thought. You could build a scale model hang glider. Perhaps making it remote controllable. You could make it as realistic as you want. With remote control you could also test how air worthy it was once you build it. Does this sound like a good idea?

I know someone who did this and made a very accurate model. He also built a (remote control) robotic pilot to fly the glider. It worked, but didn't fly quite as well as a full scale hang glider. Perhaps you could do even better? This kind of project would not be easy but would demonstrate many of the skills of design and engineering needed for creating the real thing. And no human test pilot would be needed.
Lobido
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote #15   
good idea

the_end
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote #16   
vovva wrote:

http://www.tpsport.se/page.aspx?pageId=22

Find an instructor at http://www.hangflyg.org/

Have fun!

Magnus

"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." - Hunter S. Thompson
hrafnin
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote #17   
Well, you can always try to copy an old model and then make one of your most 'beloved' teachers try it?! Mr. Green

To keep things simple: Try a project where you explain the construction and function of hangglider. You can for example re-create the the constr. drawings and parts-lists by taking apart some old glider.
(some available at www.flysale.biz )

The wisest thing would be to contact an instructor and gather information and exchange ideas.

(as stated on a beercan)
red
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: build a glider? Reply with quote #18   
vovva wrote:
Hi!

We have got a project at our high-school so I wonder if it is possible to build a hang glider by yourself. It is very interesting for me and i wanded to link my schoolarship with my interests that's why I'm asking.
If it is possible, so can you please wrigt down some links to the pictures or drawings, and may be give some names of hang gliders, which construction is possible to copy.
thank you very much. Idea Wink

Vovva,

Building a tailless HG is FAR too dangerous for a novice builder/pilot. Just the sailwork would be too expensive, unless you want something that flies like a rock. Good used HGs are available, cheaper than building one, and any HG instructor can advise you further, from there.

Does it really need to be a *tailless* hang glider? If you can get some "stick and rudder" 3-axis flying instruction first, there may be a reasonably impressive alternative project for you. Sailplane clubs are a good place to look, for cheap 3-axis instruction. You can also find an old joystick and rudder pedals, and learn a lot in that department, with a Flight Simulator computer program. MicroSoft Flight Simulator has scenarios for thermal flying, and ridge soaring in sailplanes. Check out these free drawings, linked below. Unzip them into an empty folder, and view them with any CAD program:

http://home.att.net/~m--sandlin/bug.htm

Build the Goat1 for serious personal flying, or the BUG4 as a Retro flying machine, maybe as a very interesting WWI "replica". Both would fly nicely; your choice would depend on whether you want to impress yourself, or others. I'd estimate a final cost of about US$3-4k, to have an airworthy machine and the skills to fly it safely. You don't need that much money, to start; you can build one section at a time, learning as you go. Build the wings last, because they are the biggest parts, and the most important.
Cheers,
Red
Send private message  Rating: 3 thumbs up
saltoricco
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: build a glider? Reply with quote #19   
red wrote:
[...] Build the Goat1 for serious personal flying [...]

Excellent advice, Red!

Holger
ClandestineSwine
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: build a glider? Reply with quote #20   
red wrote:
vovva wrote:
Hi!

<snip>

Vovva,

<snip>

Red

Red,

It is diamonds like this link that make me curse myself for not getting into this sooner. This is such a cool idea.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hang Gliding Org Forum Index -> Hang gliding general