Your Favorite Part of any Hang Gliding Flight? - Hang Gliding Org - Worlds largest Hang Gliding community, discover Hang Gliding

Search

• Sorry...You must register to activate searching

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hang Gliding Org Forum Index -> Hang gliding general->Your Favorite Part of any Hang Gliding Flight?
BURY this topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HangDiver
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote #41   
Skyhighwoman wrote:
I love the part when you can get good and high you can pause look around and say 'This is what HG is all about!'

thumbsup

Carm

You're right Carm. I change my answer.... what she said. After all, isn't Carm right! thumbsup mosh Smile good idea
Send private message  Rate this post
Holger
2 thumbs up
2 thumbs up

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote #42   
I like the unexpected encounters. A bird joining my circles, turning its head and probably wondering about this drunken sailor...before zipping off to a better place. Crossing lines with a solitary seagull while cruising down the coastal ridge. Chasing it a little until it, too, shows me who's really at home up here. A sailplane drawing concentric circles together with me...and I catch a glance of the pilot in his fishbowl.

Racing along a track with others during a competition is great, but even better is flying cross country together with a buddy, branching out to snoop for lift.

My favorite encounter was on a flight in the Bavarian Alps. At the launch I met an real nice HG girl, and it was just the two of us on that mountain. We set up, said our "Have a good flight!" and flew off. I went for a short O&R and when I came back she was circling over one of the ridges. I joined her and together we played almost until dusk. After landing we shared a beer...and I never saw her again (perhaps she's reading this here? Laughing)

Holger
Send private message  Rating: 3 thumbs up
CHassan
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote #43   
The best part for me is when I get to fly with other pilots.

I've done most of my long(ish) XCs alone. They were great fun, but nothing beats hooking up with another pilot or two and creeping out over the land.
I flew with 3 other guys for 3 hours, and we only made 20 miles, but man was it fun!

I guess the point in a lot of flights I most enjoy, is that first or second thermal where you realize "Hey, this is going to be a good day!"

AT, FL,ST, RLF, TUR.

There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss. … Clearly, it is this second part, the missing, which presents the difficulties. ~~~Douglas Adams

Last edited by CHassan on Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:29 am; edited 2 times in total
Send private message Blog  Rating: 3 thumbs up
curly_cue
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote #44   
I haven't thermalled yet, so this answer may change one day. But right now my favorite moment is the few seconds right after I release from the tug. Following that thing is a little stressful and I remain extremely focused. So the moment I hit the release and start really flying as I pin off to the right is a pure moment of joy.
My second favorite moment follows right behind the first. Being high and relaxing and just taking a few moments to look around and enjoy the scenery with my hands resting lightly on the bar.
Geeez, this thread really makes me want to hit the sky. Good topic WS!

jjcote
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote #45   
The moment on the way to launch (sometimes as early as when I back out of my driveway) when I turn off the cell phone. Once that happens, what lies ahead is just flying and not all that other crap.
MorphFX
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote #46   
Spain 2001; lost all perspective as the landscape is sooo much bigger than what I normally fly in the UK. I didn't really have an idea how high I was until I spotted a black 'dot' moving across the mountain.... it was my shadow! Shocked

www.morphfx.co.uk/hang-gliding/
“The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”
Douglas Adams
DocSoc
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote #47   
I'm not going to read the entire thread... Since you asked "What's YOUR favorite"

So I'm going to say flying in close proximity to my pilot friends! Lobido can vouch for this one! So can HeavyPilot, Rad, KK, AXO, and others...

Smile Smile Smile

Skyhighwoman
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote #48   
Quote:
You're right Carm. I change my answer.... what she said. After all, isn't Carm right!

Laughing

Shocked

http://www.youtube.com/skyhighwoman

Look not just with your eyes but also your brain. There's a whole new world.
Send private message  Rate this post
Wingspan34
2 thumbs up
2 thumbs up

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote #49   
Getting really high, flying in close with other pilots, . . . they are all great moments.

Has anyone else gotten a thrill from getting SO high that it seems as if you can see the curvature of the earth? I can't say that it's not just an optical illusion, but it seems noticeable. It begins to appear somewhere at or above the 1 1/2 mile high (~ 8K ft above the terrain) altitude range. It makes you feel very big and very small at the same time.

Send private message Blog  Rate this post
red
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:18 am    Post subject: Your Favorite Part of any Hang Gliding Flight? Reply with quote #50   
Wingspan,

Yep, I'm a high-altitude freak. Put my 'biner at 17,999' (5,5km) MSL, and I'm a happy camper.
The view brings all of life's problems into proper perspective. Smile The earth's curvature IS visible, then.

Wingspan34 wrote:
Getting really high, flying in close with other pilots, . . . they are all great moments.
Has anyone else gotten a thrill from getting SO high that it seems as if you can see the curvature of the earth? I can't say that it's not just an optical illusion, but it seems noticeable. It begins to appear somewhere at or above the 1 1/2 mile high (~ 8K ft above the terrain) altitude range. It makes you feel very big and very small at the same time.

http://www.xmission.com/~red/
H4, Moyes X2, Falcon Tandem, HES Tracer, Quantum
CRV
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:36 am    Post subject: All of the above... Reply with quote #51   
It's hard to narrow this down to one aspect of HG...

I love launching...that transition from having our feet on the ground to navigating the air is a crowd favorite at the observation deck at Funston.

I'll second the low save...nothing beats that...

I love thermaling with another pilot where the two of you are at equal banked turns and looking at one another working the same thermal...Noman and I had that this past weekend...that'll stick with me for a while.

But, I truly love landing...depth perception, speed control, and navigating the terrain to what we hope to be a no-stepper or at least a clean landing. I literally lay awake at night thinking of various landing approaches at my favorite flying sites... drool
Wingspan34
2 thumbs up
2 thumbs up

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote #52   
What about you coastal fliers? "Dune gooners"? What's your favorite part of that kind of flight?

I haven't had a lot of experience at the coast, but remember one memorable time. It was out at Cape Cod during the yearly Halloween Trip. The wind was blowing in at the Sea Scape Motel (the launch was right behind it) but there was also a good bit of fog. You could see about 200 feet up and down the bluff.

People said you can't fly because "You can't see beyond there!", pointing 100 feet away, in either direction. But some of us realized, everywhere you were you could see 200 feet around you. A few of us launched.

As we flew, our "bubble" of visibility always followed us. Even if the motel and our pals on the ground disappeared in the fog as we flew along the bluff. It was easy to see another pilot coming our way, even if they did tend to appear first like ghosts in the distance. Of course I appeared the same way to them. Spooky.

This is by no means a "regular" part of the "average" flight, but it was one of those experiences that you just don't forget. It was my favorite part of that flight.

PS - If you can see where you were going it's not IFR conditions is it? Mr. Green

Last edited by Wingspan34 on Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
TomGalvin
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote #53   
I love the groupies.
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote #54   
Wingspan34 wrote:
What about you coastal fliers? "Dune gooners"? What's your favorite part of that kind of flight?

How could I have forgotten... flying in a Funston Shear!

Nothing beats getting into the shear as it's setting up, timing your launch just as the winds turn cooler and switch to the northwest...then that elevator ride up through the "rough" into the balmy warmth of a well formed shear layer...flying at full VG in a topless with your fingertips watching the ground grow farther and farther away...parked, yet still climbing...

Here's a link to a shear I flew in July this year...one of a few the Fort delivered during that month this year...
Wingspan34
2 thumbs up
2 thumbs up

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote #55   
TomGalvin wrote:
I love the groupies.

Tom,

Are these "in flight" groupies? Or are they after (or before) flight groupies?

Or, most likely of all, perhaps they are just imaginary groupies. Mr. Green

jjcote
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote #56   
Actually, a post on another thread just reminded me of my real favorite part of a hang glider flight, in sort of an inside-out way. It's the part where I'm not waiting in a long line to go through a ridiculous TSA check that would prevent me from bringing things like knives and liquids. ahh
Send private message Blog  Rate this post
Wingspan34
2 thumbs up
2 thumbs up

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote #57   
jjcote wrote:
Actually, a post on another thread just reminded me of my real favorite part of a hang glider flight, in sort of an inside-out way. It's the part where I'm not waiting in a long line to go through a ridiculous TSA check that would prevent me from bringing things like knives and liquids. ahh

Yes, hang gliding is proof positive that terrorist-free flights can take place without the TSA x-raying all your stuff and making you take off your shoes first. I too like that part of hang gliding. Laughing

We do sometimes have to wait in a line to fly, though. Damn launch potatoes! punch

Mr. Green

Eteamjack
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:19 am    Post subject: Low Saves Reply with quote #58   
It doesn't happen often, but on some flights factors are such where either the conditions or I"ve not flown up to my standards and I find myself very low thinking about my landing options almost from the get go.. At the very last possible moment I core a consistent thermal and work the hell out of it managing to climb out and have a great flight.
Jason
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote #59   
Wingspan34 wrote:
jjcote wrote:

Yes, hang gliding is proof positive that terrorist-free flights can take place without the TSA x-raying all your stuff and making you take off your shoes first. I too like that part of hang gliding. Laughing

We do sometimes have to wait in a line to fly, though. Damn launch potatoes! punch

Mr. Green

although sometimes its fun to fly barefoot ahh

3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote #60   
Wingspan34 wrote:

I love the ground skimming, low and slow of dune flying. The Kitty Hawk Spectacular comes to mind... there's just something very, VERY cool about flying a 1/10th of a mph along the sand, and you're practically "willing" yourself to keep going rather than put your feet down.

I also feel like that type of flying brings me back to the 'roots' of hang gliding... "ground skimmer" and "low and slow" were really before my time, but when I'm flying at the beach (or KH) I feel a definite connection to all of the history of hang gliding.

Doesn't hurt that Francis Rogallo is usually at the Spectacular...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hang Gliding Org Forum Index -> Hang gliding general