What excuse will Nick G use this time? - Hang Gliding Org - Worlds largest Hang Gliding community, discover Hang Gliding

Search

  • Sorry...You must register to activate searching









Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hang Gliding Org Forum Index -> Hang gliding general->What excuse will Nick G use this time?
BURY this topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Willmrx
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up


Joined: 12 Jan 2008
Posts: 1722

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:49 pm    Post subject: What excuse will Nick G use this time? Reply with quote #1   
My dog eat the photos, they did not get them in time to publish in the mag, speed gliding is not that popular or whatever he can come up with to not put any photos in the mag. Lets just see what he will come up with this year. Laughing

Will
Send private message  Rate this post
remmoore
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up


Joined: 24 Jul 2008
Posts: 1668

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote #2   
HG is a dead sport, man. Get with the program and take up PG! All the cool kids are doing it...

Maybe if you submit PG photos, it would be OK to have a HG in the background. Laughing

But seriously - why do you care if you get HG photos in a PG-centric magazine, supported by a PG-centric organization? We HG's gave it all away years ago. A recent reminder of how far we've slouched is when a popular HG pilot lost the Region 2 Special Election to a relatively unknown PG pilot.

RM
Send private message  Rate this post
boarini2003
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up


Joined: 06 Feb 2007
Posts: 1529
Location: West Palm Beach

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote #3   
How do we know he isn't getting good quality photos from hang glider pilots?
_________________
H4
Wills Wing T2
Send private message  Rate this post
knumbknuts
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up


Joined: 05 Dec 2006
Posts: 5022
Location: Carlsbad, CA

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote #4   
He published mine that were no great shakes.

sword fight
Send private message Blog  Rate this post
CRV
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up


Joined: 22 May 2008
Posts: 976
Location: Bay Area, CA

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: What excuse will Nick G use this time? Reply with quote #5   
Willmrx wrote:
My dog eat the photos, they did not get them in time to publish in the mag, speed gliding is not that popular or whatever he can come up with to not put any photos in the mag. Lets just see what he will come up with this year. Laughing

Will


Are you suggesting I write another article on Ed Levin Speed Gliding? Wink

_________________
USHPA #82503
H-4 / Mentor / Observer / ACP
AT / FL / ST / CL / FSL / HA / RLF / TUR / X-C
Send private message  Rate this post
climbfly
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up


Joined: 07 Jun 2009
Posts: 23
Location: salt lake city

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote #6   
My feelings are mutual! The HG pics and stories seem to be intentionally substandard. With the exception of a few. This has been the deal since we sold our souls. Every month it's the same BS. I see exceptional HG pics just browsing the web and wonder, who's pulling for our side at the org, and why isn't there better representation. Why isn't there more forward content pertaining HG in our mag? If I see another "history of hang gliding" crap story, I'm going to have them save the paper my mag is printed on.
Send private message  Rating: 3 thumbs up
andylongvq
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up


Joined: 24 May 2011
Posts: 694
Location: California

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote #7   
It used to be that I would actually look forward to getting my HG magazine, sitting down and reading interesting stuff about hang gliding.

Now, I find myself just thumbing quickly through it, finding it filled with paragliding ads, articles and BS and tossing it in the recycle. It sucks. Mad

- Andy
Send private message  Rate this post
Willmrx
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up


Joined: 12 Jan 2008
Posts: 1722

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote #8   
remmoore wrote:
HG is a dead sport, man. Get with the program and take up PG! All the cool kids are doing it...

Maybe if you submit PG photos, it would be OK to have a HG in the background. Laughing

But seriously - why do you care if you get HG photos in a PG-centric magazine, supported by a PG-centric organization? We HG's gave it all away years ago. A recent reminder of how far we've slouched is when a popular HG pilot lost the Region 2 Special Election to a relatively unknown PG pilot.

RM
Ditto Ditto Ditto
Send private message  Rate this post
FormerFF
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up


Joined: 28 Aug 2006
Posts: 2484
Location: Roswell, Georgia, USA

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote #9   
Can't say I agree. One of the problems is that it's pretty easy to write a story about an exotic site, and those are going to mostly be paragliding. I still see a good bit of HG in the mag, and I suspect if we had more stuff to submit, more would get published.
Send private message Blog  Rate this post
peanuts
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up


Joined: 08 Jul 2008
Posts: 2010
Location: virginia

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote #10   
i have the last two magizines still sitting on my "to read or do or take action on" pile, and i still haven't even opened the covers of one of them.
Send private message  Rate this post
Phoenix
1 thumbs up
1 thumbs up


Joined: 21 Dec 2010
Posts: 1957

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote #11   
I'm unsubscribing this year! Better stuff to read, and my reading list has
grown exponentially. Yes, even Davis has better stuff to my tastes! ROFL

Don't kick me, Jack, this is my HG reading home! Wink
Send private message Blog  Rate this post
remmoore
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up


Joined: 24 Jul 2008
Posts: 1668

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote #12   
theayeinthesky wrote:
I'm unsubscribing this year! Better stuff to read, and my reading list has
grown exponentially. Yes, even Davis has better stuff to my tastes! ROFL

Don't kick me, Jack, this is my HG reading home! Wink


Exactly! As much as I'm dismayed by the de-evolution of our once-beloved mag and organization, I'm constantly cheered by this electronic medium.

Here, we're free to post and read the content we choose - not the overlords we've allowed to usurp us! SG and Davis are among my heroes, specifically because we still can express ourselves freely through their efforts.

RM
Send private message  Rate this post
blindrodie
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up


Joined: 06 Dec 2006
Posts: 4332
Location: Roeland Park, KS

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote #13   
Quote:
...and I suspect if we had more stuff to submit, more would get published.


For me, THAT'S a big rub. I read a lot of magazines and not one of them is great because the readership wrote the articles! It's because the magazine had writers...

...but we're a club and the magazine is a function of the corporation. It's great that we get what we get,


Cool

_________________
"Tow me up. I'll find my way down"

Kansas City Hang Glider Supplies
Guggenmos E7
WW U2 145
WW F1 195
FlyTec 6015
CG 1000
Tracer Plus
Organ Donor
Torrey Hawk #212
Send private message  Rate this post
Roadrunner
2 thumbs up
2 thumbs up


Joined: 20 Jan 2011
Posts: 676
Location: California

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:40 am    Post subject: How do we enjoy the ride? Reply with quote #14   
I read this post, and cannot help but hear the non conforming nature of the post. What I mean by "Non conforming nature". Is the failing virtue of many Hang Gliding to embrace the fact that para gliders have taken over the farm so to speak. Hell, they allow us to take some part in _THEIR_ magazine, I remember when the talk started on the subject Should para gliders be allowed to take part in USHGA . I wonder if what is happening now falls under the title: Taking part? It is true, we hang Glider Pilots handed over the Keys to our organization years ago, I guess the thing to do now, is {try to enjoy the ride}.
Send private message  Rate this post
dave hopkins
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up


Joined: 25 Dec 2010
Posts: 1186

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: How do we enjoy the ride? Reply with quote #15   
Roadrunner wrote:
I read this post, and cannot help but hear the non conforming nature of the post. What I mean by "Non conforming nature". Is the failing virtue of many Hang Gliding to embrace the fact that para gliders have taken over the farm so to speak. Hell, they allow us to take some part in _THEIR_ magazine, I remember when the talk started on the subject Should para gliders be allowed to take part in USHGA . I wonder if what is happening now falls under the title: Taking part? It is true, we hang Glider Pilots handed over the Keys to our organization years ago, I guess the thing to do now, is {try to enjoy the ride}.


Enjoy the ride? That's like walking into a gay bar butt naked . ahh ROFL But what did we expect. power goes where the advertising money is. Like when the motor heads started advertising in Glider Rider. HG quickly took a back seat. Paper mags are on the way out so it doesn't matter.

dave
Send private message  Rating: 3 thumbs up
mtpilot
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up


Joined: 23 Jan 2007
Posts: 220
Location: montana

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote #16   
Why don't we simply opt out of the magazine?We have enough
content on this site.

_________________
MK4,eurosport 167,enterprise combat 152,
laminar st 14. H2.
Send private message Blog  Rate this post
CAL
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up


Joined: 05 Mar 2009
Posts: 3778
Location: OGDEN, UT

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote #17   
i always go through a book or magazine and pick out the parts that help me get better, safer or just what i enjoy reading, i have learned reading some articles meant for PGs and have applied it to hang gliding, at my site there are several PGs in the sky, i look for the good in that , when i see one in lift i go get in it with them, then thank him or her afterwards and asked if i got in their way, as they fly by i see the beauty of the colors in there wing

i am excited to get the mag, you will see what you want, in my quest to enjoy life i try,( i don't always succeed ) to look for the good

when i fail i am down and out, when i succeed i am much happier

before you give up on the mag, look for the good, you will find it thumbsup

_________________
Explore nature from the eyes of an Eagle
Send private message  Rate this post
boarini2003
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up


Joined: 06 Feb 2007
Posts: 1529
Location: West Palm Beach

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote #18   
I for one have a lot of great pictures and have never sent in any. I honestly don't think this is an intentional thing— they simply have a very large pool of great PG pictures and not enough HG pics to choose from. My suggestion is if you want more HG pictures, take them and send them in! Or better yet, write an article.
_________________
H4
Wills Wing T2
Send private message  Rate this post
dievhart
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up


Joined: 24 Jul 2006
Posts: 1640
Location: Santa Cruz, CA

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote #19   
Hey Cal, sounds like your ready to join your buddy Ryan and grab some pretty panties??
Diev popcorn




CAL wrote:
i always go through a book or magazine and pick out the parts that help me get better, safer or just what i enjoy reading, i have learned reading some articles meant for PGs and have applied it to hang gliding, at my site there are several PGs in the sky, i look for the good in that , when i see one in lift i go get in it with them, then thank him or her afterwards and asked if i got in their way, as they fly by i see the beauty of the colors in there wing

i am excited to get the mag, you will see what you want, in my quest to enjoy life i try,( i don't always succeed ) to look for the good

when i fail i am down and out, when i succeed i am much happier

before you give up on the mag, look for the good, you will find it thumbsup
popcorn popcorn
_________________
Diev Hart
T2C 154, PREDATOR 142, Falcon 3 195,
Super Sport 153, Super Lancer 200
FL, CL, FSL, AWCL, RLF, AT, TFL, TUR, XC, MNTR
http://www.dievhart.com/hangglide.html
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/hgphotos/
http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=25414 (HG.org Camera Mounts)
Send private message Blog  Rate this post
bsquare
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up


Joined: 22 Dec 2006
Posts: 383
Location: Memphis, TN

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote #20   
Gosh this is all deja vu all over again for me. Snowskiing got "invaded" by snowboarders, Waterskiing got "invaded" by wakeboarders, Hangliding got "invaded" by paragliders. There are lots of other examples of obscure-sport-like-hobbies out there that have morphed into some aggregate of similar activities that depend on each other to survive.

If you don't like the mag, send em a note, I am sure they will stop sending it to you. Otherwise enjoy the mag and the sport for what it is, or rather what it should be - Fun.

As for getting more HG pix in the mag - all I can say is that we should just keep sending them good HG content. One thing that you should understand is that if you publish the pic first on the web - the mag will likely not use that content. My experience with magazines tells me that a really good interesting article or picture will get in the mag.

_________________
H3, AT, FL, CL, AWCL, 360 -- Student Pilot
WillsWing Eagle 164
WillsWing U2 145
WillsWing T2C 144
Send private message  Rating: 3 thumbs up
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hang Gliding Org Forum Index -> Hang gliding general
 
All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4


 
Jump to:  


(c) HangGliding.org All rights reserved. Based on PhpBB