new reserve idea - Hang Gliding Org - Worlds largest Hang Gliding community, discover Hang Gliding

Search

• Sorry...You must register to activate searching

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hang Gliding Org Forum Index -> Hang gliding general->new reserve idea
BURY this topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bisleybob
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:30 pm    Post subject: new reserve idea Reply with quote #1   
ok so after the recent cloud suck deployment video i got thinking.

is it possible to build a parachute with veriabe sink rate? we are always told to buy a chute size based on our all up weight and the type of air we fly in to give a sink rate of 5mps equivalent of jumpping off a 6 foot wall in terms of impact. and absolutly no more than 7mps equivalent of jumping from a 15 ft wall.

after the deployment video we have recognized the need for rapid decent.

here is the hypothesis for all the greatest org minds.

can a chute be made with maybee a pull chord flap system to regulate airflow and therfore decent rate like hot air baloons do sort of.
this was if in cloud open it up and shift your ass downward then when clear of cloud slow your ass up a tad.

answers below

wills wing eagle 180
Airwave Sportster (L)158
Other favourites flown but not owened
Airwave Xtreme (topless), aeros discuss
Send private message Blog  Rate this post
bisleybob
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote #2   
my idea is this

fly with two reserves one small and one the right size.

use the normal one in all situations. but if in a cloud throw the little one then the big one once clear.

wills wing eagle 180
Airwave Sportster (L)158
Fawkes
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote #3   
or something like on a paraglider to redurce surface: "making ears" by pulling the outer A-lines and make the screen deform temporarely ...
peanuts
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote #4   
line going up middle to center of chute. pull line, chute smaller volume.

idea #2. lock on swivel. as chute wraps up, descent increases. clear of clouds, release swivel (if it ain't too late) before chute looks like a cigar.
Send private message  Rate this post
deeprecon1
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote #5   
bisleybob wrote:
my idea is this

use the normal one in all situations. but if in a cloud throw the little one then the big one once clear.

Someone mentioned using a Drogue chute ...

I personally would like a ram-air double x ... however because we need a swivel and some xtra hang room it would not work for us ... this is just the military version of a free fall rig that can handle a combat load ...
bisleybob
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote #6   
deeprecon1 wrote:
bisleybob wrote:
my idea is this

Someone mentioned using a Drogue chute ...

I personally would like a ram-air double x ... however because we need a swivel and some xtra hang room it would not work for us ... this is just the military version of a free fall rig that can handle a combat load ...

i was thinking not a drouge but another seperate reserve of say half the required size so very fast decent.
alot of pg pilots have 2 in their harness.

wills wing eagle 180
Airwave Sportster (L)158
gasdive
2 thumbs up
2 thumbs up

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote #7   
Throwing the small one if you end up in a freefall would reduce the opening shock.

=:)

http://thingsineverunderstood.blogspot.com/
Lock a diver in an empty room for an hour with three ball bearings. On your return, one will be lost, one will be broken and one will be stolen.
airdynamic
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote #8   
Call me cynical but.....Is it not better to spend our time thinking of how not to get in to situations to have to throw a reserve.
After all there is so many people out there flying with very few needing to come down under a reserve.
We all know the dangers of looping gliders, some choose to do it knowing full well they may need to throw a reserve. Others like me prefer to not loop and not need to count on a reserve.

In my opinion...I fly as if I don't own a reserve.

Air

Magic 177, Kiwi Flier -K1, Magic 177 Full Race, SX5, CSX5, C4/ Advanced + PG2
Send private message  Rating: 3 thumbs up
dave hopkins
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote #9   
airdynamic wrote:
Call me cynical but.....Is it not better to spend our time thinking of how not to get in to situations to have to throw a reserve.
After all there is so many people out there flying with very few needing to come down under a reserve.
We all know the dangers of looping gliders, some choose to do it knowing full well they may need to throw a reserve. Others like me prefer to not loop and not need to count on a reserve.

Air

I think you may have something there! thumbsup Hummm? huge cloud with hail and rain. Maybe we should fly AWAY! Mr. Green

dave
NMERider
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote #10   
airdynamic wrote:
....In my opinion...I fly as if I don't own a reserve....

Similarly, I fly as though deploying mine leads to rather uncertain outcome.
Did I ever mention the hundreds of high-tension wires that crisscross the landscape where I fly XC? Then there are the thousands of burnt conifer trees that resemble giant pongee sticks. The list goes on....
Dan Harding
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote #11   
I've seen the small drogue chutes at some landing zones, and they seem to do the job. Having one for the possibility of cloud suck might be a good idea.
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote #12   
If you are worried about all that, rig a skydive chute and get the training. Then when the time comes, cut away, freefall, deploy and steer yourself back home.
AT, FL,ST, RLF, TUR.

There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss. Clearly, it is this second part, the missing, which presents the difficulties. ~~~Douglas Adams
bisleybob
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote #13   
CHassan wrote:
If you are worried about all that, rig a skydive chute and get the training. Then when the time comes, cut away, freefall, deploy and steer yourself back home.

hmm good idea i like it

wills wing eagle 180
Airwave Sportster (L)158
bisleybob
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote #14   
airdynamic wrote:

Air

i knew someone would say that in fact i could have and nearly did in fact put it in my thread. but this thread is about designing new parachutes which is interesting and not how to avoid clouds.

there is a system that was designed to land a plane with complete hydraulic failiure based on powering the engines independantly. its not used as airlines say the expense is not warrented due to how rare an occasion all 3 seperate hydraulic systems failing together is.

i bet we would all vote it should be fitted anyway even if its never used. just because you plan to never get in danger does not meen you should not still plan to get out of it.

besides if a reserve system could be designed like this and cost the same as a normal one why not fly with it even if you only fly on a blue sky day.

wills wing eagle 180
Airwave Sportster (L)158
bisleybob
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote #15   
my original idea of a small chute may not work.

i saw a guy deploy once with a small chute, quite a fast sink rate (he was obsessd with quick opening so got a smaller one but thats another discussion) anyway because he sank fast his wing kept trying to fly. a strange dance ensued with the wing picking up then stall and the chute taking over.

it did not look good with the chute at strange angles and scary like at any point it may give up.

you are going to need to go down pretty quick. a friend recently hit the top of a climb the lift strengthened 9 up he new this was now cloud suck he dove bar fully in to his waist. at full dive he was still going up he worked out taking off his dive speed and adding it to the amout he was still going up he was in 12 up.

a full five minutes he stayed like that intill it dropped off. he never even entered whispy bits.

i guess we need to know what is the max you can sink before the wing tries to fly (i know there are some aerodynamic minds on here that can answer that) then what would we need to escape a cloud then in theory we can asses weather anything can be made.

wills wing eagle 180
Airwave Sportster (L)158
airdynamic
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote #16   
bisleybob wrote:

i knew someone would say that in fact i could have and nearly did in fact put it in my thread. but this thread is about designing new parachutes which is interesting and not how to avoid clouds.

Fair call mate...

I always thought hang gliders should be made like umbrellas....hold the keel and push the button. The whole thing pops open and off you go.

That could work for what you are talking here too tho. Shut it closed and when the time is right pop it open again thumbsup

by the way that idea is trade marked Mr. Green so if you steel it and make millions you owe me one or two.

Cheers
Air

Magic 177, Kiwi Flier -K1, Magic 177 Full Race, SX5, CSX5, C4/ Advanced + PG2
bisleybob
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote #17   
airdynamic wrote:
bisleybob wrote:

Fair call mate...

I always thought hang gliders should be made like umbrellas....hold the keel and push the button. The whole thing pops open and off you go.

That could work for what you are talking here too tho. Shut it closed and when the time is right pop it open again thumbsup

by the way that idea is trade marked Mr. Green so if you steel it and make millions you owe me one or two.

Cheers
Air

you may be onto something perhaps chutes are not the way forward. we already have VB adjust the shape of the wing what if it could but more making the wing really unefficient.

or even variable side wires that allow wiings to go really anheadral like seaguls do in strong wind. be a b**** to pull it back on though. prob make a glider weigh even more.

but all great inventions are spawned from crazy ideas.

wills wing eagle 180
Airwave Sportster (L)158
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hang Gliding Org Forum Index -> Hang gliding general