Yeah. just earned my h2 at lookout mtn. First mtn launch vid - Hang Gliding Org - Worlds largest Hang Gliding community, discover Hang Gliding

Search

• Sorry...You must register to activate searching

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hang Gliding Org Forum Index -> Hang gliding Videos->Yeah. just earned my h2 at lookout mtn. First mtn launch vid
BURY this topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
YuriYushchenko
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:16 pm    Post subject: Relationship to Viktor Reply with quote #21   
No relationship to Viktor Yushchenko of any kind. Except the last name. This last name is pretty popular in Ukraine :-)
Send private message  Rate this post
jj colorado
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote #22   
There is great debate about coke bottle vs. grapevine grip. After learning with cok botle grip I switched to grapevine and it has worked very well for me. You must find out what works best for you through practice. But either way, keep the grip light and let your hands slide down as the glider lifts up. Many problems occur due to gripping too tightly.

Keep enjoying your new found ability to fly. Now start learning to feel the air. It is alive.

PPG2 - Speedster-Kangook
fly,surf,&ski
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote #23   
Tontar wrote:
CAL wrote:
keep up the good rep. from LMFP , congrats ! all the pilots that come from LMFP are awesome, we are expecting great things from you ! you are amongst some of the best !

LOL! We're expecting to try to fix that launch technique. owned

Aaron

Good Looking out Aaron mosh mosh mosh

If you are a new pilot that learned at Lookout and live in the San Diego area, PM me and I will help you with you're launch technique for free also........
surrender

Disclaimer: Sorry if I hurt any of the LMFP pilot's feelings, But I did get my H1 at LMFP(2 tasks from the Mnt. flight) and the first thing my next instructor in Utah did was work on my nose high launch technique. Thanks Tom.... mosh
(What worked on a Raven at near sea level was not working on a Mark IV @ 5K)

hgflyer
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote #24   
fly,surf,&ski wrote:
Tontar wrote:
CAL wrote:
keep up the good rep. from LMFP , congrats ! all the pilots that come from LMFP are awesome, we are expecting great things from you ! you are amongst some of the best !

LOL! We're expecting to try to fix that launch technique. owned

Aaron

Good Looking out Aaron mosh mosh mosh

If you are a new pilot that learned at Lookout and live in the San Diego area, PM me and I will help you with you're launch technique for free also........
surrender

p.s. F you Tontar! Hope to see you soon!

Disclaimer: Sorry if I hurt any of the LMFP pilot's feelings, But I did get my H1 at LMFP(2 tasks from the Mnt. flight) and the first thing my next instructor in Utah did was work on my nose high launch technique. Thanks Tom.... mosh
(What worked on a Raven at near sea level was not working on a Mark IV @ 5K)

Here you go Yuri,

After you paste the youtube vid of yourself. Left click on the mouse and drag over your youtube paste until all is highlighted, or covered in blue (depending on your computer). Click on the YouTube box above and to the right of "Close Tags". In other words...Look up!

EX.
Link

I hope my instruction was helpful? If so...and you feel comfortable. I'll add more to your vid and technique.

p.s. F. U. Tontar...Hope to see you soon!
Send private message Blog  Rate this post
hgflyer
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote #25   
I have to add this! i luv how everyone at the beginning of the vid. Look like Zombies! Like? How dare you try to fly? And the only person who looks normal is the welcoming wire person or instructor.

You don't have to tell me, how much s*** that launch has seen!
Windlord
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote #26   
hgflyer wrote:
I have to add this! i luv how everyone at the beginning of the vid. Look like Zombies! Like? How dare you try to fly? And the only person who looks normal is the welcoming wire person or instructor.

Have to agree with you Rich. Looked liked a funeral, but Yuri brought the place back to life. thumbsup

Torrey Hawks #208
ChattaroyMan
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote #27   
Yee-Haw! thumbsup Congrats!
1 thumbs up
1 thumbs up

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote #28   
hgflyer wrote:

Windlord wrote:
Have to agree with you Rich. Looked liked a funeral, but Yuri brought the place back to life. thumbsup

Ya, it probably would have been better if the spectators had distracted him before launch -or, better yet, delayed him long enough to blow his launch window. Really, interjecting petty snipes into what should be a celebratory thread is just pathetic.

Speaking of which,

fly,surf,&ski wrote:
Disclaimer: Sorry if I hurt any of the LMFP pilot's feelings, But I did get my H1 at LMFP(2 tasks from the Mnt. flight) and the first thing my next instructor in Utah did was work on my nose high launch technique. Thanks Tom....

I'm sure your inadequacies were all your instructor's fault -which was who, by the way? Do sign your post, so we can pass on the love.
Send private message  Rating: Bad stuff
blindrodie
2 thumbs up
2 thumbs up

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:33 am    Post subject: They were joking Mavi! Reply with quote #29   
Me thinks Mavi duth have a wee bit O' the misplaced humor syndrome... Cool

Kansas City Hang Glider Supplies
Guggenmos E7
WW U2 145
WW F1 195 (SOLD)
FlyTec 6015
CG 1000
Tracer Plus
Organ Donor
Torrey Hawk #212
Windlord
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote #30   
Mavi Gogun wrote:
hgflyer wrote:

Windlord wrote:

Ya, it probably would have been better if the spectators had distracted him before launch -or, better yet, delayed him long enough to blow his launch window. Really, interjecting petty snipes into what should be a celebratory thread is just pathetic.

Speaking of which,

fly,surf,&ski wrote:
Disclaimer: Sorry if I hurt any of the LMFP pilot's feelings, But I did get my H1 at LMFP(2 tasks from the Mnt. flight) and the first thing my next instructor in Utah did was work on my nose high launch technique. Thanks Tom....

I'm sure your inadequacies were all your instructor's fault -which was who, by the way? Do sign your post, so we can pass on the love.

roflcat Ahh Mavi, you crack me up! Best read all of the posts from the begining. There's no negativity towards Yuri, what so ever.

Torrey Hawks #208
Mavi Gogun
1 thumbs up
1 thumbs up

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote #31   
Windlord wrote:
Best read all of the posts from the begining. There's no negativity towards Yuri, what so ever.

Nor will a considered reading of my words reveal a suggestion that Yuri was being maligned- it was the general malignancy I spoke to. The intent may have been good natured -but struck me as disparaging. Still, my tone was unnecessarily aggro- more spoiling for a fight than constructive. Guess I'm just at the end of my leash today, look'n for an excuse to bight...
steve prater
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote #32   
Cool beans dude.
140 falcon, 135 Sport2, no longer dreaming of a T2
chased this dream for a while
hgflyer
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote #33   
Mavi Gogun wrote:
Windlord wrote:
Best read all of the posts from the begining. There's no negativity towards Yuri, what so ever.

Nor will a considered reading of my words reveal a suggestion that Yuri was being maligned- it was the general malignancy I spoke to. The intent may have been good natured -but struck me as disparaging. Still, my tone was unnecessarily aggro- more spoiling for a fight than constructive. Guess I'm just at the end of my leash today, look'n for an excuse to bight...

Hey Mavi,

My post was in fun. I've been around alot of launches. Enough launches to know it can be a tense moment for everyone. The demeanor and calm everyone displayed...is not much different from many other launch locations.

I by know means reccommend the opposite. Where everyone one is yelling and and forcing the pilot to launch.

I understand the mood that is created amongst local experienced pilots. Launching a visitor for the first time.

And yes! Nice Job Yuri thumbsup Even though you executed a good launch with good pitch control. I will say this...I'm not a fan of the hand positioning before launching or accelerating.

Have fun fly safe (smart)
Send private message Blog  Rating: 2 thumbs up
fly,surf,&ski
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote #34   
Mavi Gogun wrote:

Speaking of which,

fly,surf,&ski wrote:

Would you rather we all look the other way and sing Kum By Ya and praise instructors that teach a type of launch technique that results in blown launchs at more challenging/higher altitude/higher performing glider/stronger wind launches.....

As a former instructor I just can't do that. I'm sorry surrender
(I think Ryan feels the same way)

Oh but I guess since mushing off launch works at that particular site in benign conditions, well it's "all good" then right......... Rolling Eyes

Bobfly
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote #35   
Lookouts ramp is such that after 3 steps, you're flying (or not) whether you like it or not.
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote #36   
Bobfly wrote:
Lookouts ramp is such that after 3 steps, you're flying (or not) whether you like it or not.

same as all cliff launches & radial ramps(a lot of CL situations you only get 1 step) but that has nothing too do with having the proper angle of attack/airspeed.....

I'm done with this thread...... sleep sleep sleep

Mavi Gogun
1 thumbs up
1 thumbs up

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote #37   
fly,surf,&ski wrote:

Would you rather we all look the other way and sing Kum By Ya and praise instructors that teach a type of launch technique that results in blown launchs at more challenging/higher altitude/higher performing glider/stronger wind launches.....

Oh but I guess since mushing off launch works at that particular site in benign conditions, well it's "all good" then right......... Rolling Eyes

The camera angle doesn't allow for an accurate apprehension of the launch- neither the angle the nose was set at, nor to what degree it may have varied from there- let alone a mush pronouncement.

What all pilots - and new ones in particular - need to fly safely is 1) preparation, 2) awareness, and 3) confidence. Discussing technique deficits such as launch posture (coke bottle vs. grapevine grip, etc) is important, and speaks to all three of these.

"fly,surf,&ski", you offered nothing to help with any of these three. On the contrary, you actively sought to undermined Yuri's confidence by asserting that the school he attends is not equipped to teach him to launch safely. That was your sole "contribution". As a former instructor, you should know better.

If you truly believe there is a safety deficit at LMFP, you have an obligation to delineate what they are to both LMFP, the specific instructor, and the regional director. Have you done so? If not, why? Again: who was your instructor? Matt, Christian, Tom, Gucci, Scot, Scott, Sean, Kieth, Suzy, John, Jon, Pete, Dan, Jennifer, Eric, Christina, Christopher, Diana, Ron, Mike, Mikey- who?

Christopher LeFay
Send private message  Rating: Bad stuff
fly,surf,&ski
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote #38   
Mavi Gogun wrote:

The camera angle doesn't allow for an accurate apprehension of the launch- neither the angle the nose was set at, nor to what degree it may have varied from there- let alone a mush pronouncement.

Look at the the bar position. It's obvious.......

BTW Mavi If either Airthug, Jim Rooney, or Red who I know most people on this site has a lot of respect for as instructors come on here and tell me they think I'm full of s***, I will gladly admit my assesment is wrong
popcorn

Till then, just keep drinking that koolaid Laughing

fly,surf,&ski
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote #39   
Mavi Gogun wrote:
[ On the contrary, you actively sought to undermined Yuri's confidence

BTW I think I hurt you're fragile EGO more than Yuri's confidence.... ROFL

hgflyer
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote #40   
Mavi Gogun wrote:
fly,surf,&ski wrote:

What all pilots - and new ones in particular - need to fly safely is 1) preparation, 2) awareness, and 3) confidence. Discussing technique deficits such as launch posture (coke bottle vs. grapevine grip, etc) is important, and speaks to all three of these.

"fly,surf,&ski", you offered nothing to help with any of these three. On the contrary, you actively sought to undermined Yuri's confidence by asserting that the school he attends is not equipped to teach him to launch safely. That was your sole "contribution". As a former instructor, you should know better.

If you truly believe there is a safety deficit at LMFP, you have an obligation to delineate what they are to both LMFP, the specific instructor, and the regional director. Have you done so? If not, why? Again: who was your instructor? Matt, Christian, Tom, Gucci, Scot, Scott, Sean, Kieth, Suzy, John, Jon, Pete, Dan, Jennifer, Eric, Christina, Christopher, Diana, Ron, Mike, Mikey- who?

Christopher LeFay

Hello Mavi,

I feel specifics are good. But not good as to belittle eachother or hold to blame.
We are all in this together!

As a good instructor...You mentioned

1)Preparation

2)Awareness

3)Confidence

I'll share a little more (in depth) my feelings on just 2)Awareness.

1)Was the pilot aware of the cycle or conditions (independent of the instructor)?

2)Was the pilot aware of being hooked in (independent of the instructor)?

3)Was the pilot aware of propper pitch control during acceleration?

4)Was the pilot aware of the best technique for conditions (micro meteorology) and topography?

5)Was the pilot aware of intent and purpose of flight?

6)Was the pilot aware of being in control of the wing during launch, flying, approach, landing?

7)Was the pilot aware of subtle changes in micrometeorology from launch to landing?

8)Was the pilot aware of his or her own goals? In this case Yuri.

9)Was the pilot aware of his or her own mindset and intensity?

10)Was the pilot aware of his or her emotional and physical awareness, specifically at that time?

11)Was the pilot aware of anything that could have diminished his or her ability to focus or physically perform the next day or moment?

12)?

There are so many factors and aspect that create success!

Please don't ask me to make a list of factors or aspects...That apply to

1)How to prepare?

3)How to achieve confidence?

We all want to be perfect! And we will always (as humans) come up with excuses or reasons as to why Confused

OOPS!

Richard Anthony Palmon the turd.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hang Gliding Org Forum Index -> Hang gliding Videos