Rotor's road to recovery daily blog - Hang Gliding Org - Worlds largest Hang Gliding community, discover Hang Gliding

Search

• Sorry...You must register to activate searching

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hang Gliding Org Forum Index -> Incident Reports->Rotor's road to recovery daily blog
BURY this topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rotor
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote #21   
hello all and thanks for reading my blog,,,,,well today was another great day for me, i have far to go but im heading in the right direction,,,my theripy starts out early each morning 7:30 or 8:am with a theripist coming into my room to stretch me out,legs arms ,,everything almost to the point of pain,,,then i eat breakfast,,,the food here is alway awesome good,,this is the first hospital i have ever been to where it is easy to clean your plate,,,then after spong bath,washing hair & brushing teath,,the theripist helps me get dressed & puts on my back brace,,like a cast that is removable,,,then out of the bed & into a wheelchair & off to the gym for upper body workouts...back into the room for lunch and, good freind jay bass & his sweet little daughter give me a visit & well wishes,,then back to the gym where i find out that i have worked my way up to a more advanced,lighter, faster,but a little less stable wheelchair,,,,i love it,yahoo,,,then more practice on being able to roll myself over in any directions from laying flat & to then being able to get myself up & in and out of bed to and from the new chair,,more practice on moving my legs and strenth training with them,,,back to my room at 4pm for a much needed nap,,,another day with improvements and i cant wait to get things started tomorrow,,i have along ways to go, but can see that it can be done with alot of hard work,,,thank you all for all the encoragement and support,,i am very thankful to be blessed with so many great friends or that is more like brothers and sisters !!! Mr. Green thumbsup
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote #22   
Glad to hear it, Rotor. thumbsup Make those therapists earn their pay. Every day, you heal a little more and get a little stronger.
1 thumbs up
1 thumbs up

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote #23   
man doug im proud of you dude.Thanks for the update.I wish i could get down there but im under the gun.If i get lucky and win the speedgliding comp it will be for you man! i wish you could be there.
Send private message  Rate this post
Rotor
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote #24   
noman3 wrote:
man doug im proud of you dude.Thanks for the update.I wish i could get down there but im under the gun.If i get lucky and win the speedgliding comp it will be for you man! i wish you could be there.

no worrys bro, I'll be home in about a week,,,then my mom will come to live with & help me, I will try to improve quickly so not to take advantage of her,,,i will then be travleing for outpationat theripy two or three days a week,,,what ever my insureance allows,,,,if it were my choice i would just stay right here where i am & walk out of here in a few months, but my insurance is only allowing me this 24 hour theripy for two weeks...so i'm learning as much as i can here before i have to go,,,,this hospital & theripist are awesome!!! when i get home i would love the visit when you get time bro...

3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote #25   
noman3 wrote:

ps bro,,,,please keep it safe and fun for the speedrun,,,,everyone can do something for me there at the speedrun,,,,everyone walk away safe and unhurt and that will be the biggest thang you can all do for me as a group...... thumbsup good idea

3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote #26   
Rotor wrote:
ps bro,,,,please keep it safe and fun for the speedrun,,,,everyone can do something for me there at the speedrun,,,,everyone walk away safe and unhurt and that will be the biggest thang you can all do for me as a group...... thumbsup good idea

thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup
completely agree !
Send private message Blog  Rate this post
JackieB
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote #27   
Great job, Rotor! You are an inspiration.
Windlord
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote #28   
Outstanding Doug ! thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup It's great to see your progress moving right along.
Torrey Hawks #208
Patrick O'Donnell
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote #29   
That's the man Rotor give er s*** this is the time here and now. punch
Intermediate- (H3) >
Rotor
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote #30   
Ok, well the day started normal , with the stretching,,,washing & getting dressed after breakfast,uperbody workout & back to the room for lunch,then back to the gym where I got to do some work at the paralell bars, & after standing up for a few minutes at a time ,,,i got to take a few steps forward & then backward,,,i was so glad and excited that ---------------welll ok here it go's -----i s*** my depends Embarassed Shocked Embarassed cuss ROFL ,,,i had been having some troble with constipation with all the drugs,,,so i did need this ,,but it shut down my theripy,& I was sent back to my room to get fresh depends,, Embarassed ,,guess I got to have some downs with the ups???I had time to go back to theripy and practice some rolling myself to the side of the bed & getting in and out of the bed to the wheelchair,,back to the room for a much needed nap,,& i just got to take a shower,,,now that the staples are out of my back ( there was 40 ) i can take a shower every other night,,,spong baths otherwise,,I here i may get to go for a run on the tred mill tomorrow,,,,i hope so,,,,it is a strang feeling though standing and you cant feel the bottom of your feet,,,like floating in thin air??all and all another great day ,,well that is as great as it could be for where i am & what i am going though,,,the pain levle today was super high though,,but i cant let that slow me down, im on a mission,i do feel i have my father & the higher power on my side,,, i did have some of my dads ashes in my harness with me,,he has been on all my flights with me since his passing...
doug ( rotor )

3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote #31   
nice to hear you making lots of progress....glad your spirits are up too....
40 staples, gees I thought my 12 was alot way back when...
I bet thats gonna itch as it gets better...have to get a back scratcher thumbsup
smiles bro
Diev

FL, CL, FSL, AWCL, RLF, AT, TFL, TUR, XC, MNTR
http://www.dievhart.com/hangglide.html
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/hgphotos/
http://www.hanggliding.org/viewtopic.php?t=25414 (HG.org Camera Mounts)
Bobfly
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote #32   
I feel very humbled, Rotor. You make us all proud with your hard work. You're an inspiration. I wish I could soak up some of that pain for you and lessen your load but it's all you man. Keep fighting and working hard. We're all with you every step of the way in spirit if not in body.
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote #33   
Bobfly wrote:
I feel very humbled, Rotor. You make us all proud with your hard work. You're an inspiration. I wish I could soak up some of that pain for you and lessen your load but it's all you man. Keep fighting and working hard. We're all with you every step of the way in spirit if not in body.

I feel exactly the same as you Bobfly. Ditto

It's a good thing you left some ashes in your harness after this flight Doug.
Fawkes
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote #34   
bentupright wrote:
I feel exactly the same as you Bobfly. Ditto
It's a good thing you left some ashes in your harness after this flight Doug.

Ditto Great pic by the way thumbsup
Rotor
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote #35   
back in the room for lunch break,,,thank you all for the suport,,,,it;s ether fight or lye down,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,so i,m going to fight,,,,,,iv'e worked to hard my whole life to get where i am at and not going to just loose all that i have,,,,my home , my stuff or my job,,,,,,,,,i must WIN this fight before i loose all that i have,,,i know if i loose every thing i wont have the strenth to fight,,,so i fight here and now before its to late,,i do get strenth from all your support,,,,,so i thank you all,,you really don't realize what you are doing for me,, but i do & will never forget,,,,
P.S. Dan thank you for the picture,,,i love my dad,,he was the best father anyone could have ever wished for,,,,this is the flight if some of you didnt se it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srp88_pM61w

3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote #36   
Just AWESOME!!! Keep up the good work!

Carm

http://www.youtube.com/skyhighwoman

Look not just with your eyes but also your brain. There's a whole new world.
Fletcher
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote #37   
Keep on fighting Rotor
You're an inspiration to us all
Thanks for the updates
Fletcher
Rotor
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote #38   
well im baCK IN THE ROOM, BUT MY THERIPIST SAYS I HAVE TO STAY IN MY WHEEL CHAIR UNTIL 6PM....WISH I COULD JUST LAY DOWN AND TAKE A LOAD OFF,,,BUT SHE SAYS THIS WILL MAKE ME TOUGH AND GET MY BACK STRONGER,,,,OK THEN I'LL DO IT..ALL WENT SAME TODAY BUT TO DAY I TOOK ABOUT 40 STEPS AT THE PALLALELL BARS,,,STILL MOVING ALONG WITH THE FIGHT,,,I[M GOING TO CUT IT SHORT HERE,,,IT TAKE IT OUT ON ME TYPING IN THIS CHAIR,,,,,,LOTS OF PAIN GOING THROUGH ME,,,I HAVE HOT FLASHES EVEN WHEN ITS COLD IN HERE
1 thumbs up
1 thumbs up

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote #39   
Sitting on the toilet is a privilege thumbsup

That yosemite video is good Doug. Made me smile seeing you work the light lift so well.
Zeph
2 thumbs up
2 thumbs up

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote #40   
Hey Man, sending you good vibes from the Midwest. Sounds like you are doing great with the rehab. I don't know ya, but you are another HG pilot/brother, so I'll keep praying for you and your family. Sounds like you have an awsome support group of fellow pilots. All you guys make me proud. Peace...........Zeph
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hang Gliding Org Forum Index -> Incident Reports