Warren Dunes Michigan - Hang Gliding Org - Worlds largest Hang Gliding community, discover Hang Gliding

Search

• Sorry...You must register to activate searching

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hang Gliding Org Forum Index -> Hang gliding general->Warren Dunes Michigan
BURY this topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
steve prater
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:25 pm    Post subject: Warren Dunes Michigan Reply with quote #1   
Anyone have info on this place. Got a friend going to work in this area for a while and needs contact info for flying..
Support The Cloudbase Foundation
140 falcon, 135 Sport2, no longer dreaming of a T2
chased this dream for a while
Send private message  Rate this post
NMERider
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Warren Dunes Michigan Reply with quote #2   
steve prater wrote:
Anyone have info on this place. Got a friend going to work in this area for a while and needs contact info for flying..

http://www.birrendesign.com/rhgpa_sites.html#Warren

Angelo from the Chicago Club is your man: http://www.hanggliding.org/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=2748 Send him a PM
Send private message Blog  Rate this post
gbx5150
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote #3   
Angelo probably is your best contact, he has instructed at Warren Dunes and flown there 20+ yrs.

I took my lessons at Warren dunes from John Mitchell and have flown Warren off and on since 91 I could answer any question you might have but my availabilty to come out and fly Warren with you might be limited, I'm going back to Montana soon for a couple months.

You also want to try and fly Mount Baldy but do not fly Baldy without the permit and a guide even though a guide is not an official requirement, this site is in trouble, the new chief ranger is an ass on a mission to close the site, he's already shut us out from May 15th to sept. 15th. and he's just looking for an excuse to close it for good.

For both Warren and Baldy there's a couple newer guys and some para-gliders that you might have better luck connecting with them for some company to fly with, I have flown Baldy alone quite a few times, there aren't a lot of people flying there anymore, since USHPA made it so difficult on the small time instructor that the 3 instructors that used to teach and fly there quit, they kept some new guys coming in and held a core group of 10 or so pilots together.

Both sites can be a blast to fly, especially top landable Baldy, you likely won't be impressed the first time you see either one in person, but the flying is awesome on a good day. These are tricky, yet easy sites to fly, you definately need some experienced local advice to get the full potential of what they offer, between the 2 there are at least 30 miles of soarable ridge, expect altitudes between 250' to 800' over the top on a soarable day mostly you'll be in the 350 to 450 range and expect to fly in far strong wind than you probably have before, you won't even stay up in 18mph or less unless you really know these sites well or are a hang5 skygod that knows everything, I prefer winds to be between 23 to 28 mph for ideal conditions low 30's are doable anything more than that let a local go first .
Somewhere on Hanggliding.org I've posted some pretty good pictures of Baldy, I'll have to do some searching to find the posts. My pics are on a different computer or I'd post them again here.
If you friend is working in Michigan he should definately go fly Green Point near Traverse City, a much better site with a more consistent local group to fly with.

Gregg
gbx5150
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote #4   
see page 3 of " SAVE MT BALDY " thread for pictures to give you an idea what Baldy or Warren dunes flying is like.

there is also a Green Point video somewhere on hanggliding.org
gbx5150
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote #5   
checkout "GREAT AND BAD WIRE LAUNCHES" For Green Point video
steve prater
3 thumbs up
3 thumbs up

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote #6   
gbx5150 wrote:
Angelo probably is your best contact, he has instructed at Warren Dunes and flown there 20+ yrs.

Somewhere on Hanggliding.org I've posted some pretty good pictures of Baldy, I'll have to do some searching to find the posts. My pics are on a different computer or I'd post them again here.
If you friend is working in Michigan he should definately go fly Green Point near Traverse City, a much better site with a more consistent local group to fly with.

Gregg

Thanks Gregg. I have sent Angelo an eMail. My buddy John wont be taking his wing but his gal is. She will be looking for airtime. A contact person for when they get there is what Iím looking for.

Thanks

Support The Cloudbase Foundation
140 falcon, 135 Sport2, no longer dreaming of a T2
chased this dream for a while
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hang Gliding Org Forum Index -> Hang gliding general